Skip to content

Discuss This Who from the biking world should be a Knight or a Dame in the New Year Honours list? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Who from the biking world should be a Knight or a Dame in the New Year Honours list?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Who from the biking world should be a Knight or a Dame in the New Year Honours list?

Which personality from the biking world do you think should be a Knight or Dame in the New Year Honours list?   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 December 2012 10:25)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Probably the only real contender is John Bloor for what he's done making the UK a major motorcycle manufacturer.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Satisfying the criteria.

If there was a UK rider who was a current (or very recent) world champion then that might be appropriate but outside of that there's only John Bloor from that list who comes anywhere near satisfying the criteria for being made a knight or dame

Reply to this Topic
RobNinja

Jun 06

RobNinja says:

What about Guy Martin?  He's done plenty on telly to promote biking. 

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

From an endless list...

Rogerborg, Preunit, Satnav Steve, TomRR ???????  what about Sir GixerCarl ? or Dame Snev?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Dame Rogerborg would suit me fine

I already like to flounce around in a skirt.

Riders for Health can sod right off, it's just more leeching my tax money through "gift aid" to sustain a population that will never get itself out of the chaaaaridy trap until we stop treating them like bloody children.

Bloor's the only serious candidate on that list.  However, and I do hesitate to say this, Charley Boorman has probably done more to bring new people into biking[*] than anyone else I can think of.

[*] By "biking" I mean "4 day DAS, then buy a R1200GS and have an Adventure down the mucky end of the car park".

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

McG

John McG for me - a living legend & throughly nice bloke.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Bloor

Has to be Bloor for me. John McGuinness, like all the great and brave TT riders, would have to hold the world title like Mike Hailwood did. My favourite British rider after Sheen was always Foggy, but again, a GP title would be needed. Bloor has been so successful, he's got Japanese manufacturers going over to four-stroke triples. He has also kept BMW on their toe's. I'm sure Triumph exports have pleased the government, especially in this time of recession. It's also great to see the Triumph badge still flying the flag for Britain. A no Brainer for me!

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

Well done, MCN, for missing out the obvious.

Everyone seems to have forgotten John Surtees, still the only man to have won both the Motorcycle and Formula 1 World Champioships.

He's still alive, and should have been knighted decades ago. He achieved more than Sir Stirling Moss, and he deserved his title, as did Sir Jack Brabham and Sir Jackie Stewart.

As far as I know, no figure from motorcycling has ever been knighted, and that's a travesty.

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

MudDoctor

Couldn't agree more! Was thinking of Surtees whilst posting below. He also lost his young son to the sport, I have a great deal of respect for this man. Two knighthoods required: Bloor & Surtees!

Reply to this Topic
slparry

Aug 02

slparry says:

John Bloor

It has to be John Bloor, the guys done more for the manufacturing image of this country than anyone else, resurrecting a once proud British marque from the deadly days of the late 60's and 70's when piss poor greedy corrupt management  sucked the finances and the life out of it in the ill conceived NVT group, by burying their heads in the sand and proclaiming no one wants multi cylinders and electric starters etc.

I've never owned a Triumph, did have a ride a 750 Bonny in the 70's (it was horrible and along with a HD rates as the 2 worst bikes I've ridden in 38 years), however Mr Bloor has created a modern vibrant and quality company and deserves the credit. He probably won't tho' cos the establishment dismisses motorcycling.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices