Skip to content

Discuss This 50 years ago: The Ernst Degner story General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 50 years ago: The Ernst Degner story

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matt Oxley  says:

50 years ago: The Ernst Degner story

Fifty years ago Suzuki won its first world championship with the rinkiest-dinkiest little Grand Prix bike. The 50cc RM62 that Ernst Degner rode to the inaugural 50cc title in October 1962 made eight horsepower and was good for 90mph, with a little help from a tailwind. It was hardly an awesome motorcycle, but its success was as much a historic
 moment for...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 10:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Some enterprising Hollywood producer should make a film of Degners life. Even non-motorcyclists would find it interesting! It would make a change from Hobbits and aliens!

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

"Over the next few years the two-stroke would go on to utterly dominate GP racing, so much so that after 1975 not a single world title was won by a four-stroke until the rules were changed and the MotoGP era began in 2001."

You mean 2002.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Very interesting but......

......isn't it the way of the world that technology is copied and ideas are stolen. Degner's story is really one of industrial espionage. Theft in other words.

He may have got away with it fifty years ago but in today's world he and Suzuki would most likely end up in court.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
markobezerko

Jan 05

markobezerko says:

I agree steve great film material and great story.

Reply to this Topic
captinbk

Jan 09

captinbk says:

Stealing speed the book

Hi,

My youngest son gave me the book for my birthday a few years ago, it really does read like a spy novel but also shows the lengths that the MZ factory had to go to to to eke every tiny power increase on their bikes with very little state support in post war East Germany. I have loaned the book to a few of my friends who are not all motorcyclists and to my two motorcycling sons and have had only positive comments about the book. I would recommend anyone to try to read it for the espionage ,the engineering, the motorcycle connection or the history of europe and motorcycling.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices