Skip to content

Discuss This The rules: See and be seen General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The rules: See and be seen

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

The rules: See and be seen

No one has to worry more about seeing high-speed objects than a fighter pilot. Closing speeds with other aircraft can be well over 1000mph. Any miscalculation, even for a fraction of a second, can be fatal. Group Captain John Sullivan is a Royal Air Force pilot with over 4000 hours’ flight experience, including in the 1991 Gulf War. Much of his...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 10:58)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fevs

Jul 11

fevs says:

A Good Olde.....

Hi-Vis jacket or sleeveless over jacket would go a long way.... and a hi-vis helmet if you were so inclined!

Fevs

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

I'm in the wrong job

What i have just read above is exactly what  i have been doing since i passed my test at the age of 17, i didnt realise that i was a natural born fighter pilot, i thought it was just common sense and a strong sense of self preservation that i have.

Got to agree with Piglet2010, a few anti twat missiles wouldn't go amiss.

Reply to this Topic
arbg92

Oct 05

arbg92 says:

A decent article, but most of us (probably from experience) realise that the skills for drivers these days seem very lacking. With most drivers these days been in too much of a rush to exit junctions and working on the idea that the road will be clear. Driving is no longer a skill...most drivers just point and go.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

yes you can see trees moving in the wind

looking twice, i did my cay test about 10 years after my bike test and the instructor always used to get on at me saying, "you don't need to look twice, it shows you've not looked correctly the first time", the instructor wasn't a driver. 

i've noticed at high speed (say over 130mph), even if you know it's windy, you can't see trees moving in the wind.

anyways excellent stuff from Group Captain John Sullivan

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

eyes wide shut

Great article , and it dose draw parallels with Motorcycling, I believe we learn from experience, how many times have cars pulled out ( sorry mate didn’t see you)   I ride defensively its ,, I feel the only way to ride ,,, I talk to myself , almost like doing checklist, sounds crazy, I mumble things like  white care turning,, sharp bend,, buss pulling in ,,, parked car ,,,etc  it’s now a habit, I also try to make eye contact, mainly at junctions, the closer I get with no eye contact the jittier I get, slowdown ride wide etc.. 

Reply to this Topic
Luddy

Nov 07

Luddy says:

Some good comments on here for a change. I use all the methods described in the previous comments and also two more. The first is my "sixth sense", meaning that although I can see all the evidence that another road user has seen me and is acting accordingly, if I FEEL that something is not quite right I react straight away as though the vehicle has already begun to move. Which brings me to my second point; the horn! Don`t forget how effective this can be to bring another driver to full attention. I`ll always use my horn even if I think another driver MAY move into a collision course with me. Sometimes gets me dirty looks but what the hell?

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Humour aside

WTF does this have to do with us. "You are blind" - complete crap, "Peripheral vision sucks" - tell me something I don't know, "Focus" - trust me, when I am about to have a head on I know all about it, "You cannot scan" - I don't, I will look at one point of the road then 2secs later look further ahead etc. Then he starts on about what I have to do at a junction. "Assume something is there" - we are only expecting certain objects, cars don't surprise me anymore, "Look twice" tell that to the SMIDSY driver, not us and the final banality "This is why fighter pilots attack with the sun behind them", durrr... fucking moron - we don't have 3D freedom of movement, only the road and where its headed.

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

Thought

I think you missed the point about riding with the sun behind you, it can make you near invisible to other road users and to actually think all of this article is purely aimed at motorcyclists is a bit silly, it is an expericened persons veiw on observation whish we can read and draw our own conclusions from. If it doesn't appaer to be of use to you then move on and go to the next article, to sit there and knock the author and call him names is really an insult and you wonder why no one likes "bikers"?

Reply to this Topic
MBrundle

Dec 12

MBrundle says:

I thought this was a good article and I've emailed a link to members of my family who ride and drive. Much of it you end up doing instinctively with experience but it helps to know why. Whilst I'm sure there are more layers of complexity on the subject it's the kind of practical information which should be part of instruction/tests . I ride, drive and fly and I have no doubt that the lookout and peripheral awareness challenges are similar.    

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Being seen

Problem I've had lately isn't that the buggers haven't seen me, but they appear to decide that I can slow/ swerve in time, and pull out in front anyway.

The thinking seems to be "It's only a bike, and they'll be able to stop.   It's more their risk than mine."

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices