Skip to content

Discuss This The rules: See and be seen General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > The rules: See and be seen

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

The rules: See and be seen

No one has to worry more about seeing high-speed objects than a fighter pilot. Closing speeds with other aircraft can be well over 1000mph. Any miscalculation, even for a fraction of a second, can be fatal. Group Captain John Sullivan is a Royal Air Force pilot with over 4000 hours’ flight experience, including in the 1991 Gulf War. Much of his...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 10:58)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

I agree with you slowLearner.

A recent paper was published about conspicuity and smidsys... Nov. 2012  from New zealand and published over here.  It looked at  over 300 papers from other countries and in  the past and examined more fully about 30 of them where conspicuity was the main issue.

It mentioned four  driving occurancies where what we call a smidsy happens but forgot about the fifth one, the one you just mentioned. see eye to eye and yet they totally disregard our presence on the road..... because they dont care about a motorbike or scooter or cyclist or any vehicle  smaller than themselves.

Therefore not a smidsy but a direct attack upon ourselves.

The paper comes out in agreeing that tho hi vis can in some circumstances help avoid an accident in others it could be a contributory factor.every junction being  different, in 1] making us more camflaged, melting into our background so we dont stand out anymore and 2] mentally making one feel that we are more visible and riding as tho we have been seen, which has been mentioned before [ ie lulling us into a false sense of security]

It finally mentioned lighting and suggest more illumination on bikes, not just facing forwards but allowing others to determine the shape of a biker by shining lights on ourselves. also to have  at least two additional  lights, diferent in colour to the headlight, showing to the front but having them being placed vertically, one above and one below the main beam so that as we approach say a car at a junction he can see us better and also make a better determination of our distance away and how we are looming towards him by the lights getting bigger. Its like watching a giraffe and a zebra running towards one.  the larger of the two ,the giraffe appears to get bigger sooner but the zebra gets run over. Oh well, never mind. [this was my explanation and not in the report by the way.]

We will have to wait and see what happens next..

or all ride Goldwings with all the aditional lighting on.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

As a general observation, drivers tend to steer towards where they are looking.This can be an issue if you are filtering at speed, with a loud pipe, because if they hear you and look in their mirrors, the car / van etc. may start to steer towards you, thereby closing the gap. That can get all your attention, trust me.......

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

hi viz

I am a high mileage rider and ride all year round commuting and couriering.Common sense says if you wear a bright yellow jacket etc you are going to be noticed and seen a lot better. But hand on heart in my experience wearing hi viz or not has made not one bit of difference. I have had just as many near misses and people pulling out on me wearing hi viz as when I am not wearing it. If it is very foggy or dull I will put it on but I really dont think it makes a blind bit of difference.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

hi viz

I am a high mileage rider and ride all year round commuting and couriering.Common sense says if you wear a bright yellow jacket etc you are going to be noticed and seen a lot better. But hand on heart in my experience wearing hi viz or not has made not one bit of difference. I have had just as many near misses and people pulling out on me wearing hi viz as when I am not wearing it. If it is very foggy or dull I will put it on but I really dont think it makes a blind bit of difference.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Piroflip

Avoid those camp sites!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

billysollocks

Indeed, Whilst riding my utterly useless (for our roads) Busa during the "Festive Period" I happened upon a 12 mile nose to tail Motorway jam. I reckon that I must have "Filtered" past about 4 or 5 thousand cars and only about a dozen or so Drivers showed any sign of awareness of my presence despite my Lights and loud pipes. In fact... I believe most people were completely oblivious, as witnessed by the odd abrupt lane swap and passenger door opening. I even did a "High Five" with one driver who was probably just stretching his arm!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Snev, you've been very bad, disturbing those poor motorists in their climate controlled cocoons! How will they cope, knowing that there are actually OTHER PEOPLE around them?

Mind you, I got in a spot of bother during the festive wossname. Went to a fancy dress party and told the missus that hers was the best killer whale costume I'd ever seen. She politely said "I'm a fucking nun"..........oh well.

Reply to this Topic
simonpatterson

Oct 12

Please can we remind you that whilst this is a public forum we’d like our members to discuss with respect and decency to their peers.

Please take the time to read and edit your comments before posting them.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

?????????

????????? I'm confused please can you explain Mr Paterson.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

erm....

anybody????

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle