Skip to content

Discuss This BMF loses influence in Brussels after failing to pay FEMA membership General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > BMF loses influence in Brussels after failing to pay FEMA membership

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

BMF loses influence in Brussels after failing to pay FEMA membership

The British Motorcyclists Federation has less influence in Brussels after failing to pay its members’ levy to the group representing riders to European Parliament.   The BMF, which claims to be the UK’s largest motorcycle organisation, no longer has a vote on policies of the Federation of European Motorcyclists’ Associations after falling into arrears with payments.     FEMA is the central body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 11:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

@ TbirdNeil

MAG,FEMA,BMF whoever, want money to represent motorcyclists in the UK and europe? Before I give you any of my hardearned can you list some of the accomplishments any of you have had in the past 10 years because it seems to me we keep getting shafted and I can't think of any notable advantages any of these groups have won for us. I'm inclined to agree with Rogerborg.

Reply to this Topic
Mitch42

Dec 12

Mitch42 says:

@MattMorris

As far as MAG's concerned…
I suppose it depends on where you live – down where I am: Brighton bus lane access (starting next summer); a U-turn by the Driving Standards Agency after they closed the Mod 1 test centre at Ore in November (re-opening on the 23rd of this month); local and County Councils consulting MAG on road repairs (East Sussex County Council about Alfriston). – that's all been in the past few weeks – 

Full bus lane access on Red Routes in London for bikes (in the past few months)

Getting rid of the charge for bikes on the QE2 Bridge/Tunnel, Severn Bridge and others (all within the past 10 years)

MAG has successfully lobbied the UK's Department for Transport – who have persuaded the EU Council of Ministers to drop the requirement for bikes to have Road Worthiness Testing. Finally, the review into bike testing (signed off by – now former – Roads Minister and MAG member Mike Penning) which will sort out the stupid testing rules we have at present. That's off top of my head anyway

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Just to clarify

I like MAG, I get the emails, follow the issues, went on the pointless slow rides last year, write to my MP and MEPs, contribute to the DfT consultations, and promote the issues on bikechatforums.  MAG is fighting a great UK based rearguard against the ongoing anti-bike onslaught pouring out of Brussels.

But I will be God damned if one europound of my hard earned after-taxes income ends up in the pockets of FEMA, who I believe have (today) become just another talking shop, passively reporting on how deep we're getting shafted and giving the occasional token bleat of protest.

@TBirdNeil "The fact is that FEMA has had enormous influence for the good over EU-originated legislation"

[citation needed]

You're making the claim, you back it up.  I find your bald assertion unconvincing.

Reply to this Topic
Mitch42

Dec 12

Mitch42 says:

@Rogerborg

Some of us agree with you over the 'pointless slow rides' – I somehow think they won't be happening again any time soon. The last ride in June wasn't supposed to be a slow one. 

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Fuck em

What kind of motorcyclists charge other motorcyclists money to have their say? Not the kind I'd want anything to do with that's for sure.

Reply to this Topic
MattMorris

Sep 09

MattMorris says:

@zoggthefantastic

spot on chief.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Charges

I'm pretty sure the EU commission will charge a great deal to operate a group which exists to challenge their ideas. This is likely to stop dissent. The commission didn't have to go through the trouble of elections to get where they are so why should they listen to anyone? And no one should EVER take anyone to the EU courts. To use them merely justifies their continued over reach of their original powers and their ability to make stupid regulations that affect half a billion people based on one case. Unfortunately the EU state is legal. How they created it is certainly unethical and an absolute disgrace but the bastard child of communism is as legal as it gets. There's some EU legislation we should keep - of course some will be an improvement on what we had prior to that as we stopped making our own laws and so they might well be outdated. The problem is to get rid of it requires a government which isn't retarded. This government will argue that about 8% of our laws come from Brussels. That all the legislation coming from Brussels affects all states and that the Germans did a proper audit finding that over 80% of their laws are EU laws means that yet again, we're being lied to by people obsessed with bending over for Barroso.

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

The Future

Its this simple - like it or not, the EU makes the laws we now have to live by and there aint gonna be a referendum any time soon. If you want to stick your head in the sand that's your privilege, but don't knock those who are trying to (at least) delay and preferably stop the remorseless anti-bike movement within the EU - Target Zero has NOT gone away. If you begrudge £30 a year to help protect your hobby/means of transport/way of life, then ok, but dont be surprised to see bikes limited to 30mph with leg-guards and an inflatable dayglo rubber ring round them, when you finally take your head out  of the sand - that's always assuming you will actually see a bike!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

So FEMA carries the riders' voice to the European Commission and Parliament?

Why pay? We already pay for MPs and MEPs, and what are they for if not to represent the views of constituents and constituent groups? Do you have to actually be in Brussels to have any chance of representation? Quite possibly so, but that place seems to be mainly about taking in money. Appalling.

Reply to this Topic
Darowyn

Mar 05

Darowyn says:

If FEMA charges every Motorcycle association in the EU one euro per member, then they must have a very large annual income. What do they do with it? Who voted for the committee? What do they pay themselves, and who decided how much? What is their success rate when it comes to influencing EU law? What have they achieved so far? What are they campaigning on this year? Is MAG a paid member of FEMA? An finally and most importantly, with all this income, how come nobody on here has ever heard as much as a whisper from FEMA until now? Cheers Dave

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices