Skip to content

Discuss This BMF loses influence in Brussels after failing to pay FEMA membership General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > BMF loses influence in Brussels after failing to pay FEMA membership

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

BMF loses influence in Brussels after failing to pay FEMA membership

The British Motorcyclists Federation has less influence in Brussels after failing to pay its members’ levy to the group representing riders to European Parliament.   The BMF, which claims to be the UK’s largest motorcycle organisation, no longer has a vote on policies of the Federation of European Motorcyclists’ Associations after falling into arrears with payments.     FEMA is the central body...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 11:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Good on the BMF

One of the reasons that I won't join MAG is that they tithe to those grasping, spineless Eurotards in FEMA.

Biking is too small a lobby to be politically significant, so they're only kidding themselves that being allowed to sit quitely at the Big Boy Table while the growns ups are stitching us up is achieving a damn thing, other than to make them feel self important.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is drawing a salary for doing it.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

tbh, I think everyone should be in either MAG or the BMF

As motorcyclists we might not be a large group, but most of the trouble is initiated in Europe, and without representation at all, who knows what ill-conceived legislation might be forced on us next. At the very least we get notice of what's going on, and can do something about it. The anti-tampering proposals being a recent case in point.

Just a thought - It's unlikely MAG and the BMF will ever merge, but one, louder voice might serve us better.

Reply to this Topic
Mitch42

Dec 12

Mitch42 says:

Rogerborg, you obviously have your opinions about FEMA. I suppose if we weren't in Europe we wouldn't need FEMA but as we are, we do. One thing I will ask is what has joining MAG to do with FEMA? You can just join MAG and ignore the rest. To be honest, it is a really piss-poor excuse for not joining MAG. And no, I am not one of the six or so people who draw a salary from MAG. Steve Farrell, the reasons for BMF not paying are elsewhere on the net. Nothing to do with FEMA really – especially since Chris Hodder was on the Board of FEMA until February this year. Their non-payment has been a lot longer.

Reply to this Topic
TBirdNeil

Dec 12

TBirdNeil says:

MAG Holds The Line

@ Rogerborg - The fact is that FEMA has had enormous influence for the good over EU-originated legislation. The legislative battlefield is largely in Europe so that is where we need to be. For that reason MAG founded FEM in 1988 and then merged into FEM the much smaller EMA in 2000, which the BMF had tried to get going as a rival - unsuccessfully as it turned out. MAG has never stinted where money for campaigning is concerned - we've got our priorities right. So Roger, I am telling you otherwise and I have never drawn a salary of any description from MAG - of which I have been a Member for 30 years - or FEMA which I helped to create. Fell free to check MAG and FEMA's accounts - they are in the public domain. If the motorcycle lobby ever lacks influence in the future it will be down to those who foolishly fall for the defeatist message you are so unwisely putting out. That and those in other so-called organisations who sit on their hands when they should be putting them to the wheel. The fight against motorcycle legislation is like pushing a boulder uphill. The minute you stop it rolls back down over you. MAG will still be pushing uphill when all the rest have given up and gone home - as you obviously have.  Final fact: The BMF is NOT the UK's largest rider organisation and hasn't been for at least 20 years. If you doubt that, divide its membership income by its annual fee and work it out for yourself.  Former BMF Chairman Henry Marks admitted in 2001 that he made up the figure of 140,000 members out of thin air - it's a matter of record.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Mitch42

Dec 12

Mitch42 says:

It's all in the public domain

I'm sure the real reason why the BMF haven't paid will come out soon enough... Chris Hodder himself pointed that out. The internet is a wonderful thing...

Reply to this Topic
Mitch42

Dec 12

Mitch42 says:

Steve Farrell

Steve, yes, if the BMF is saying they've got a voice in Europe when they haven't, it is definitely misleading. Surely the FEMA bill can't be that big? Are there other bills that are outstanding? Speaking as a contract graphic designer who works for some large firms in London, I always look into the background of a company before working for them – to make sure they can pay the bills (I got bitten on the backside last year by a firm which went bust before paying me).

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

These unelected EU baffoons

should have no sway on "our" laws. Sorry to hear about the BMF's loss, but this is a bigger issue than just motorcycle representation.  This illegal EU state needs to be torn down and its meaningless legislation abolished.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

i don't follow any rules so why should be BMF, if your not in their club you can't be voted out, so if it's important do like mad protests, like every other minority group in europe does, put 2 stroke oil in your petrol tank and fog out Brussels or Strap a pussy riot girl to your bike, thats if they are out of jail yet.

Any way when are we getting roads to the same standard as every other mainland euro country, i have a right to life under a charter (that the UK voted out of) as well.     

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

by the way, someone like the BMF should take the UK government to the EU court over the death of a motorcyclist on the "right to life rule" due to the fact that, that person may not have died if our road where at the same standard as every other main land european contries roads. 

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

E-mail rec'd from the BMF today

You may have heard that the BMF is not paying fees to FEMA, and even that we are no longer members of FEMA.

The origin of this story is a press release from Ian Mutch, ostensibly about MAG's fund-raising drive.

The facts are that:

We are paying a monthly amount to FEMA, which we hope to increase next year.
We are in arrears, due to our cashflow problems over the last 2 years.
We are still working with FEMA and participating in their debates over EU legislation.
With your help we will be able to pay off what we owe sooner rather than later, and in the meantime we will continue to work on your behalf both in the UK and in Europe.

Thank you for your continued support.

Roger Ellis
BMF Chairman

Which doesn' t seem to contradict anything that's already been said. While I've been a BMF member for some years, it has to make you wonder how effective they now are, compared to MAG ?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices