Skip to content

Discuss This Penalty points for dangerous riding in MotoGP from 2013 MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Penalty points for dangerous riding in MotoGP from 2013

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Penalty points for dangerous riding in MotoGP from 2013

Dangerous and aggressive riding will be dealt with by a new penalty points system that will be introduced across all three classes in the MotoGP world championship from next season. Points will be awarded between one and 10 depending on the severity of the offence and if a rider accumulates 10 points then he is immediately banned for one race. Any rider...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 11:45)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

Haha

Love how it's a picture of MM next to the headline, he was the first person I thought of too :D On a more serious note, this system will only work if it's the same team dishing out the penalties at each event

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

This is going to produce some very controversial decisions

Bike racing by it's very nature dictates a high degree of aggression particularly when overtaking a rider on a similar pace.  It's a very fine line between aggressive and dangerous riding. What we're likely to see is riders just following each other round afraid to make a move for fear of losing points especially towards the end of the season.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Dunno

Looks like the rule changes have centred around Marc Marquez to me, the spawny eyed little wazzock. I like the idea of the points system, it's better than the current system of, erm, what is the current system? I suspect young Marquez will have himself a fine set of crystal decanters by seasons end and be highly acquainted with the pitlane. I think the system will be flakey for a while until the precedents are set, presumably they'll be called the Marquez Code or something. Hopefully his Phillip Island crash last year was the 10 but I suspect history will show it was a 7. I don't understand why the GP Commission don't just grab the bull by the bollocks and implement a set of MotoGP rules based heavily around all the best bits of Moto2/3 rules. Bits like " Maximum prices permitted to be charged for the supply of brakes and suspension will be imposed. Investigations are also being carried out with a view to capping charges for "service contracts" for the same products. " are a step in the right direction but not far reaching enough. Moto3 has the right idea " To ensure that teams in the Moto3 are supplied with engines of the same specification at a reasonable price it has been agreed that engines will be supplied via the series organisers and distributed randomly. Engines will not be returned for maintenance but having completed normal mileage will be retained by teams for other purposes or sale on." “ Discussions are continuing about the maximum number of engines allowed and the routine, minor engine maintenance to be permitted and a final regulation will be announced during the 2013 Qatar GP. Maximum prices will be imposed for complete Moto3 class machines and maximum prices will be specified for chassis and major components for Moto3 and Moto2 class machines. Again, final regulations will be announced during the 2013 Qatar GP.” The bit that baffles me is that the rules for Moto3 and Moto2 are almost surgical in their precision (all the rules, not just these bits), the idea of cost capping components, randomly dishing out engines, pricing up rolling chassis and whole bikes is exactly what is needed whereas MotoGP rules are somewhat vaguer and laxer hence the costs being out of control. Moto1 rules shouldn't be massively dissimilar to Moto2/3 rules in the same way that 500cc rules weren't much different to 125 and 250cc rules. They really ought to be thinking about changing the Moto2 engine rules to make them align with Moto3 and allow specs that suit road based engines to encourage the other manufacturers to provide engines. Honda have done the donkey work in that respect but I think now is the time to get the classes aligned mechanically and financially. So I'm baffled how they can have such a comprehensive set of regs that creates close exciting racing spectacle (Moto2/3) at a more a realistic price and MotoGP...

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Shame

that points will be deducted for decking someone  in the gravel after they've brought you off.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Oh

Each season it seems that some aspects of prototype motorcycle racing edge closer to the F1 model of operation.  Which is a real shame because it seems every 2 minutes in an F1 race there is a stewards inquiry in to something !  I would rather see riders be deducted points from their accumalted totals for the year, and if a rider has no points then see the relegation to back of grids etc.  I thought the point of moto gp was for the fastest guy to win, and the fastest riders start from the front of the grid, and being the fastest means taking at times risks.  I woudl hate to see riders start worrying about the 'totting' up procedure, and tehn slow themselves down.  Worse still will be if we start seeing riders being forced to be content with their position rather than risk and overtake in case it doesnt work out and they get penalised !  In a sport starved of overtaking of late that isnt good, lets just hope Dorna dont ever hear about DRS and KERS.... and find some way to mimic it!  Knowing them they would probably 'penalise' riders who get more than one second advantage.. haha !! But seriously though... we got moto gp edging toward F1 rules, WSBK being stripped back and arguably dumbed down.... both owned by the same firm... can we see a pattern emerging... :O

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Not F1

And never will be. F1 offers 7 different winners in the first 7 races to a season for a start, MotoGP could never achieve this in current format, there aren't 7 rider bike combos capable of winning a straight fight. Or even a dirty unclean one. What Bernie has done is install some structure and order, he's played the game well, knowing when to milk a driver and knowing when to drop him and most importantly he's made sure everyone know's exactly who is in charge. The enormous sums of cash this has generated suggest he might be on to something. You have to remember Bernie has wielded spanners, driven, ran teams and everything else involved in F1 for 50+ years, he knows his shit. MotoGP would be wise to take at least some inspiration from this. As Nostro secretly knows, there are many parallels between 2 wheel and 4 wheeled racing and probably because they evolved from the same place. MotoGP doesn't need to get too hardcore with rule changes but whoever is in charge needs to be in charge and have a clear vision of the direction needed. That's all Bernie did, trying to keep the speed, safety, cost, spectacle, profitability conundrum in check with sensible rules and a plan. You scoff but you have to remember that most of what is on track today, certainly in F1, was paid for by the likes of Senna, Clark and the many many others who were killed or injured along the way. F1 got serious after Senna died in '94 and personally I appreciated not having to watch people cark it over lunch as I'd done a few times up to that point. Last year over cornflakes at Sepang wasn't ideal either and watching young Marc riding with such gay abandon is not how I want to spend my saturday/sundays. Will a points system or a little F1 tech/know-how help? Hopefully.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

Boring much

Not good for the sport but maybe a punch up in pit lane!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

F1

Im not saying moto gp is F1, and I agree, never should it be !   However saying some of the rule changes from F1 would benefit moto gp is hard to justify in some areas given that they are entirely different disciplines in the modern era.  I would highly approve of anything that increases rider safety, but one of the core principles of motorcycle sport is the spectacle, and motorcycle racing will always inherintly be more dangerous than car racing its just the way it is.  What I dont agree with is implementing rules that give an appearence of making things safer, but in reality the only way for such a rule to have that effect, would be by making the riders not take the risks they normally deem necessary to achieve the speed they need to.  Otherwise we may as well wrap them all in bubble warp and send them out if pitlane with a 10 mph speed limiter on... As for Bernie being in charge, Im certain in F1 that is true, and perhaps that has been necessary in that paddock.  But all I can say is that the rule changes that have been introduced have done little to improve the spectacle of moto gp, rather the opposite, like effectively finishing open tyre competition and drastic engine limitations etc etc.  Its a difficult balance I know because you cant have teams spending themselves out of contention, but look at seasons 2004,05,06 for great racing, cue increased rule changes from 2007 onward and the show and probably the safety had been reduced as well, 800'cc... how many riders crashed in s straight line on the bigger machines compared to high corner speeds of the 800's.... (Nakano Mugello excluded...) Somewhere along the line the rules went wrong, more rules doesnt always mean more improvements....

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

It's a superflous rule.

How many indiscretions were there in Moto GP last year that resulted in any form of punishment? None that I can immediately think of..I'm in agreement with Saturn - all it will serve to do is diminish a riders desire to make a pass that isn't 100% on, particularly in the latter stages of the season. The only penalty that won't completely stifle the show is a financial one..

Reply to this Topic
deafdave

Oct 09

deafdave says:

Another rule?

Oh fuck off motogp!! I'm sick of about the stupid rule to make even more boring racing! I'm quit to motogp to join world superbike is real proper man racing! Motogp just like a football!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices