Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

2012 marked the end of an era when double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner hung up his leathers after finishing third in the Valencia race in November. The Australian– widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in history – quit at just 27 after becoming disillusioned at constant rule changes and fearful that his lifelong passion for motorcycling would be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 13:50)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Soup... true...

Stoner was comprehensively handed his arse by DP in 2012 due to injury... in exactly the same way that Rossi was in 2010 by his team mate... but by a lot less points of course.

"It dosen't sit well with this hysteria thats being whipped up around stoner by a few sentimental, moist eyed fantasists who think he's a "widely acclaimed" this and that. But he's not, and thats exactly how it will look in the history books because thats exactly what happened."

You're right... it's exactly what happened to both of them... I really thought you liked Rossi... ?

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

CHR

I'm so disappointed! You can't compare riders of different generations. It just dosen't work. The biggest problem is the number of races in a season which is significantly more today than it was in the days of people like Lawson, Schwantz etc.

doohanfan. The simple and obvious difference is that stoner was riding the same machinery as Pedrosa, and still got beaten. How can that be if stoner is as wonderful as you assume?

hedgey. Infantile. Again.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Mario, It's a new year..

..we will no doubt have many debates of a similar nature as time goes on. Let's call this one quits.xx

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

mari 'oh no'

''So many ridiculous comments to choose from...

....from the simply deluded to the blatantly moronic, eh pc?''
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you stop using big words please.

Reply to this Topic
AldoApache

Jan 13

AldoApache says:

Rossi fans are so butthurt by these articles

Look, it's pretty simple. Since they've both ben in the top class Stoner has more wins and points than Rossi, and the same titles despite being on a satellite bike in 06 and a Ducati until 2011.

And I'm not really sure why Pedrosa keeps getting brought up. Casey spent roughly half the season out through injury or riding with injury, which happens to all riders occasionally inclding Jorge, Rossi and Pedrosa. But their overall figures since they've both been racing are extremely one sided in favour of Stoner who has nearly twice as many wins and 2 more titles than Pedrosa. Again, this is despite the fact Stoner rode the Ducati for 4 years and a satelite bike (and tyres) for one, where Pedrosa has been the number 1 factory Honda rider for the entire time. Casey took as many wins in his two years on the factory RCV as Dani did in his first 5 years.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Ah - the child speaks

So Mario, were you sticking your tongue out at the PC and singing na-na-na-na-na when you wrote this?

Er, yes actually bluto. You see, it dosen't matter what's happened part way through the season. You can't draw conclusions based on a fraction of the season, and to do so would be silly, child-like and naive. Pedrosa beat stoner by enough points for his self inflicted crash to not matter. So yes bluto, I am deliberately overlooking that as its of no consequence.

Drawing conclusions on a fraction of the season is exactly what you are doing. First, you can't beat someone who isn't in the race. Stoner missed 4 races and in that time Pedrosa pulled 75 points on him, therefore Stoner hasn't completed a full season. Returning in Motegi left 4 races and if Stoner won them all he still couldn't have beaten Pedrosa as the deficit was too big - assuming Pedrosa finished 2nd or 3rd in each race. Had Stoner not been injured we'll never know what the outcome would have been but it's irrelevant. He was and it meant Pedrosa ended the season with more points. Riders get injured and miss races. That's all there is to it. Up to Indy of course, Stoner had won 4 races to Pedrosa's 1.

You really can't stand that one can you? Pedrosa fairly and squarely handing stoner his arse last year. It dosen't sit well with this hysteria thats being whipped up around stoner by a few sentimental, moist eyed fantasists who think he's a "widely acclaimed" this and that. But he's not, and thats exactly how it will look in the history books because thats exactly what happened. Take the blinkers off boys.

If you think that beating someone who has missed several races is beating them fairly and squarely then that's up to you. That aside, Pedrosa had a very good season, it wasn't his fault Stoner was out injured and my opinion always was that there was little between Pedrosa, Stoner and Lorenzo.

As for history books and records, as I said elsewhere, Madonna and Rihanna have easily sold more records than Shirley Bassey and are way higher in the 'title' of best sellers - does that mean they are better singers?

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

aldoapache

Sorry for asking but i just need to know what you mean by top class because if you mean moto gp i think you need to have a look at the stats before typing if you mean 800's then fair enough but that really doesn't cover the top class so just to clarify are you just biased or STUPID ?? it does make a difference to your ability to understand racing and your view of who's who

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

stoner and pedrosa

Stoner and rossi have both been beaten by a team-mate once in the premier class, in years when they missed several races due to injury and were affected by injury in several other races. All credit to lorenzo and pedrosa for defeating their team mates in those years, staying injury free has always been a significant component in premier class racing as rossi's 7 championships, doohan having 5 rather than 7 championships, and pedrosa'a previous career demonstrate.

Other than the very obvious point that getting injured is a bad thing if you want to succeed in gp bike racing, what exactly is your point? If you want to argue that success on the same equipment is all that counts, then stoner really is greater than rossi given their relative records on a ducati, and in particular stoner's times in the valencia 2010 race compared to rossi's in the post valencia testing 2 days later in 2010. Btw, stoner and rossi vs their team-mates is somewhere I really would not go were I arguing your position, given that stoner has always given his team-mates unfettered access to his data, there have not been team orders in his teams afaik etc, as opposed to your boy's team-mates usually having the status of (not very) glorified test riders, walls in the garage, leaving teams when they have the audacity to give a team-mate equal status etc etc.

Rossi is the greatest rider imo, and also imo never needed advantages to beat his team-mates when uninjured either, but if you wish to argue about stoner vs his team-mates and denigrate stoner's considerable (if obviously lesser than those of rossi) achievements then the facts are as I have delineated.

I have never understood the attitude of those of your ilk from the start of all this in 2007, if stoner is no good how the hell did he win all those races with rossi in the field? I see it as like federer, nadal and djokovic in tennis (not that I am particularly interested in tennis), with the careers of two other exceptionally good tennis players overlapping the career of the guy who is very likely the best ever. I would see stoner as djokovic and lorenzo as nadal btw, since I think lorenzo will be regarded as the greater rider at the end of their careers as will nadal imo compared to djokovic. Maybe pedrosa will get in there too as andy murray did in tennis last year.    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AldoApache

Jan 13

AldoApache says:

Moany100

"Sorry for asking but i just need to know what you mean by top class because if you mean moto gp i think you need to have a look at the stats before typing if you mean 800's then fair enough but that really doesn't cover the top class so just to clarify are you just biased or STUPID ?? it does make a difference to your ability to understand racing and your view of who's who" How's your comprehension of the English Language? I'm saying since they have raced each other in the top class, including Stoners rookie year on a satellite 990, Stoner has superior stats to Rossi. Maybe you need to check your facts you rancid prick.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Soup...

Infantile?... so Rossi was beaten by how much by his team mate on the championship winning bike in 2010?... & Stoner was beaten by how much on the bike that could only manage 2nd in 2012? In his injury year Stoner had more points, was closer to his team mate & was closer to the championship winner than Rossi in his... by a long way. That's exactly what happened.

Infantile is responding with nothing more than insults because you have no argument. Infants may know how to present arguments better than you but that doesn't label everyone who does as infantile.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices