Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

2012 marked the end of an era when double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner hung up his leathers after finishing third in the Valencia race in November. The Australian– widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in history – quit at just 27 after becoming disillusioned at constant rule changes and fearful that his lifelong passion for motorcycling would be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 13:50)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

IMPARTIAL

I'll add a comment as an impartial fan of all moto gp riders .

Stoner did ride the wheels off the duke but the 2007 title was not just his ability the bike was clearly superior,Now he most definately has been the most successfull rider of the duke but would he have won another title on it?

I personally don't think he would have a few races yes but another title no,Only because Honda and Yamaha have moved forward and because of Ducati's reluctance to fundamentally alter their machine and by this i mean changing engine configuration in order to shift the weight to the optimum psition the machine itself is not and will not be truly competitive.

Ducati need a bike that can be ridden by any gp rider not just a great talent that can ride around it's issues ala Casey Stoner.

Rossi is an unbelievable talent in set up and riding but if he hasn't got the appropriate weopon he can only shoot blanks and blanks is what Ducati let him have>

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

When was the last time that the rider that won the title wasn't on the best bike? Kenny Roberts Jnr in 2000?

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Rossi..2004.

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Kevin Schwanz

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

impartial moaning

The 2007 ducati was a championship capable bike, it won the championship. QED.

Whether it was the "best" bike or had an "advantage" is completely speculative, now as it was then. Sure, it had a straight line advantage, particularly early season, but so did the aprilia cube, which does not appear anywhere in the record books as a premier class championship winner to my knowledge. 

I would go so far as to agree with you that the thing was invincible with stoner riding it against the pre-pneumatic hondas and yamahas, but this does not imo detract from what stoner achieved, because the thing by all accounts was extremely difficult to ride, and the method stoner employed to make it go so fast was impossible to replicate, even for valentino rossi by his own testimony. So Stoner's 2007 championship doesn't count because he was too fast using a way out on the edge method/style which was impossible for others to replicate? Give me a break.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Impartial or ignorantly opinionated moany?

Given you're happy to spout the hoary myth espoused by such engineering luminaries as motomatters.com David Emmett and our own Wosi that the layout of the D16 engine is at fault I'd tend to label you towards the sheep end of the spectrum. Do you not think Corse have run countless simulations and have their weight distribution where they want it?

Look at Rossi on the Duke. He's a passive, timid 67kg sack of spuds. To ride the D16 or RCV fast a rider needs to be far more dynamic using his weight to his advantage. Lorenzo of course is proof you can get away with ultra smooth on the sweetly balanced M1 which will help Rossi, just not nearly as much as most dreamers on here think.

Corse made great engineering efforts to accommodate Rossi. Rossi was unable to make any modification to his riding style to adapt to the D16. Fault clearly lay with the rider.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
leecho

May 09

leecho says:

CH987

barry sheene 1976

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Here's another question

When was the last time a rider who is "widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in history" (by australians, second rate journos and orange thong wearers) was beaten by his team mate on equal machinery?

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Soup..

It would appear you're more stupid than you look..

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

nostrodamus

I take it you don't agree and my ignorant views of why Ducati Corse have not accomodated the rider needs please explain as to why the Ducati cannot be ridden to any advatage by anyone other than Casey Stioner perhaps not all the Gp gods are wrong and perhaps your view maybe?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices