Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

2012 marked the end of an era when double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner hung up his leathers after finishing third in the Valencia race in November. The Australian– widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in history – quit at just 27 after becoming disillusioned at constant rule changes and fearful that his lifelong passion for motorcycling would be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 13:50)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Second half..

There's a definite whiff of Oranges here in the changing room at half-time, in this year's closed-season battle of the fanboy's.

CHR..The golden rule is, you have to beat your team mate. Rossi did that, he was top Ducati..just like last year.

Casey was third in the championship behind Dani and Jorge before he fell at Indy. 

They were approaching the two-thirds distance in the calendar and time was running out for him to win the title, after silly mistakes had handed the advantage to his rivals.

Comparing riders while on different bikes is a dangerous game, as we know..haha!

Trying to compare them riding last years GP12 and RCV, is just plain stupid.

Well done Bozo..you just picked up your second award of the the thread.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

2010 and 2012

Yes wosi, there is obviously a vast difference between crashing in practice when  only 9 points behind your team-mate as opposed to doing so when 11 points behind him.

I know where you are coming from, I am not one of those who think 2010 proved much in regard to lorenzo vs rossi, other than that if you want to win a championship you shouldn't crash, get injured and miss several races.

I think if stoner hadn't crashed in 2012 lorenzo would still likely have won the championship, but don't share your confidence that stoner would have finished behind pedrosa.

I don't think that stoner had the physical and mental toughness, sheer desire or indeed the political nous to win 7 championships like rossi, but then according to mick doohan few if any other than rossi do, including mick himself.

Doesn't mean you can make things up though. Btw, what was stoner's fastest lap at qatar when he won in in 2009 like in comparison to rossi's when he won there in 2010 and finished 7th in 2011?

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

So Wosi, basically what you're trying to avoid having to admit..

..is Stoner beat Rossi and you find it hard to stomach..Let's not beat around the bush, the bottom line is, it pains you to know that your least favourite rider has made your hero appear flaccid and overrated. It's hurt you Wosi, we all know that, your sceptic sores are there for all to see. But now Stoner has gone, there's hope for you - just keep believing pal, just keep believing!..ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I'm more than happy to tell you, that's after you remind me where Rossi finished this year...

....simple answer, infront of his team mate. VR may not have set the world alight on the Ducati, but he did atleast beat his team mate and therefore turn in the best performance of anyone on a Ducati last year.

stoner on the otherhand was beaten by Pedrosa, by a substantial margin. It therefore seems like something of a contradiction for the second rate hack that wrote this article, or anyone else to suggest that stoner is "widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in the world" when he can't even beat his team mate.

The guy is completely overrated.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Now stop it Soup, this futile attempt to illicit conversation on such naive grounds..

..paints you in a very negative light. You'll be singing the praises of Espagaro next and telling us he's better than Stoner too. Yes, Rossi beat his team mate, well done. But that means nothing if you're coming home in 6th place, particularly when you're denigrating the performance of someone who beat him comprehensively for the past 2 seasons. For God's sake man, get a grip..

Reply to this Topic
vmax4steve

Mar 08

vmax4steve says:

moany100

Rossi left Honda because they wouldn't give him #1 status, that is a fact. It has always been that way with Honda. I distinctly remember at the time of Rossi's departure that Honda told him their focus was on the bike and not the rider when Gibernau was known to have an equal machine. He didn't like it and went to Yamaha who gave him what he wanted with Edwards as a strict #2.

I know Ducati do not own Bridgestone, but Bridgestone do have Rossi on contract same as Michelin did before and my point is that Bridgestone needed to help Rossi, therefore themselves, as he is the face for their advertising and marketing. I do not feel it is correct for a control tyre supplier to have any one rider in the series on contract to them, it makes it open to favouritism by both manufacturer and the rider himself if he is also part of the development of their products.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I think its you that

has it round the wrong way chr. Rossi's results last year are whats irrelevant in the context of this conversation. Infact they were only brought up by you to make somekind of point with Wosi.

My point is that you cannot call or describe a guy as being a "widely acclaimed" anything in the world if he can't beat his own team mate. Are we saying that ben spies is widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in the world? he did finish second to his team mate afterall. Howbout Hayden then? or maybe de Puniet? They all finished second to their team mate? Are we to celebrate this?

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Mario, If your brains were dynamite there wouldn't be enough to blow your hat off.

This really is a second tier argument you're touting. Read the posts again, and then tell me who brought up Rossi's results first..

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Super...

"widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in the world" when he can't even beat his team mate."

As has been pointed out, neither did VR in 2010 but for that reason you believe...

"The guy is completely overrated."

Harsh thing to say about your hero.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Hedgy..

.. no point replying, simply childish. CHR, there is no 2 tier argument, or atleast not with my point of view. The only reason Rossi was bought up was to say that his presence in this conversation is irrelevant, which is as true now as it was when I first made the point.

I know you're a big casey fan chr, but there does seem to be a case of mass hysteria and hypnosis amongst a small cross section of race fans when it comes to your boy. Sure he's fast, but as the record books will reflect, in the eyes of history he's no big deal. A ton of whining and 2 championships before signing off with a defeat at the hands of your own team mate. Thats it!? There are guys around him who have achieved more, but where's the fanfare for those guys? Where's the big song and dance?

stoner IS overrated.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices