Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Vittoriano Guareschi

2012 marked the end of an era when double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner hung up his leathers after finishing third in the Valencia race in November. The Australian– widely acclaimed as one of the fastest riders in history – quit at just 27 after becoming disillusioned at constant rule changes and fearful that his lifelong passion for motorcycling would be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 13:50)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

stoner over-rated

This and the other current threads in which you are contending supermario actually pertain to valedictory statements on Stoner's retirement from paddock figures/insiders in the sport, but not necessarily people particularly close to him.

They do seem to be acclaiming him, which I guess is par for the course for such things, but you are the one disputing his status, so by most conventions of debate the onus is on you to come up with reasons why you disagree, which you have signally failed to do.

I made a quite lengthy post as to why I thought you were wrong in your claims about the implications of the results of the 2012 season for stoner's status in the sport and quality as a rider, in which I attacked your arguments and your arithmetic, and to which you do not appear inclined to offer any rebuttal, but made no comment as far as I am aware concerning your character.

You are obviously entirely entitled to dislike stoner, or to think that he is over-rated, although if so in the latter case you would appear to be in disagreement with the opinions of the gentlemen these threads concern, but if you put up nonsensical arguments or incorrect evidence you probably should not be surprised if posters choose to dispute with you.

In my opinion, and my opinion only, it is difficult to over-rate stoner given his record which is outstanding by any measure. If people are rating him as equal or better than great riders of the past and present, and valentino rossi in particular, (again imo) you have  a case, but this is not what is being contended by those making the valedictory statements, just that he was really good. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Soup...

"If you came out with a stupid statement? hedgey you've done nothing BUT make stupid statements, thats why you're getting ignored and ridiculed for the most part"

Firstly, in your continuous replies it's obvious you're not ignoring me, just insulting, & secondly, you were quick to point out Bulto's mistake so please tear my statements to shreds... if it's that easy it should only take a few seconds... I can take it.... alternatively you could be man enough to admit that they are actually correct... people will begin to respect you for that.

:smile

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

What a lot of whingers

No wonder you admire stoner. Girls, I've said my piece. stoner is overrated and if you read my posts you'll know why I think that. Go ahead, cry all you want. It won't change the fact that stoner was easily beaten by Pedrosa.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Soup...

Cheers... you've proven my point... & 13 posts on a rider you don't even like trying to say the likes of Burgess, Suppo & Checchinello are wrong & that Stoner actually wasn't that good?... = megga-whinge!

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

being beaten by pedrosa in 2012 supermario

probably doesn't change whether stoner does or doesn't like eating bananas either, the question which you continue to fail  to address is how being beaten by pedrosa in a season severely affected by injury is evidence of stoner being over-rated.

Nice argumentum ad hominem btw having complained about it yourself.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Looks like

more crying ladies. stoner is overrated.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Yeah...

Keep repeating it... it's far more convincing than reasoned argument & apparently it does make it true... ask Wosi!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Mario

You want to be taken seriously yet you continue to reply with childish answers and as I said to you months ago, you're incapable of answering a direct question and backing up any claim you make with reasoned opinion.

Saying Stoner is overated because Pedrosa scored more points than him is hardly reasoned opinion

Pedrosa has also beaten Rossi in the points table more than once. Is Rossi overated because of that or because Hayden beat him in the points table in 2006?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

yes supermario

Pedrosa beat rossi in 2007, 2010, 2011 and 2012, hayden beat him in 2006, and for that matter KRJR beat him in 2000, loris capirossi beat him in 1998, and some bloke called haruchika aoki beat him in 1996.

Rossi is obviously over-rated, and should have 17 championships rather than "only" 9. Yah boo sucks, to imitate your debating style.

If pedrosa comes out and wins the next 2 championships with ten championship wins against the current field, particularly if he wins in such a fashion in 2014 with rossi still in the field and marquez no longer a rookie, then it will be proof that he has been under-rated and hampered by injury rather than proof of others being over-rated.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Pull my pudding..

To simplify..

Casey Stoner was odds-on favourite to win 2012 but came 3rd and was already in 3rd place BEFORE he made a silly error 7 minutes into QP at Indy. Nobody else involved. Own Fault.

Dani beat him fair & square at Sachsenring where Stoner crashed after trying to overtake him and, was never headed by Stoner in the championship thereafter.

Pedrosa won 7 races, Stoner 4.

Pedrosa had 9 fastest laps, Stoner had just 2.

Stoner had, in relative terms, a more disappointing season than Rossi. Much more was expected from him but..he came up short.

Dani wiped his arse for him and the MOST embarassing thing is that Dani has never won a title. He was always 4th best alien and he beat Casey riding the same bike.

The way Dani finished the season, Stoner would have been beaten whether he'd banged himself up or not.

Stoner only ever won when he had a big machinery advantage 2007 & 2011. He couldn't back a title up and got beat by Pedrosa.

This is why some of us think  he's over rated.

No..but seriously. You carry on with your one-eyed rimming and ignore the facts.

If Casey asked you all to dress up in orange lycra suits and jump off a cliff, there'd be a competition to see who could shout 'Geronimo' the loudest.

I predict it'll be very quiet around here once the action starts..maybe a muffled whack whack whack in the background as aimless #27ers congregate to watch 1000fps footage of Stoner two-wheel drfting the kerbs.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices