Skip to content

Discuss This 2012 MOTOGP MOMENTS – CASEY STONER RETIRES MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > 2012 MOTOGP MOMENTS – CASEY STONER RETIRES

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

2012 MOTOGP MOMENTS – CASEY STONER RETIRES

When Casey Stoner won the Jerez and Estoril races to ignite the defence of his MotoGP crown, talk of his retirement was already filling plenty of column inches. The Aussie was at pains to deny the speculation was true, so when the media filed into the pre-event press conference ahead of the Le Mans race in France, only those in...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 13:55)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

nostro

Casey is not perfect.

Seasons greetings and all the very best to everyone here.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

vmax4steve vmax4steve

vmax4steve i thought when rossi started to use bridgestone he took the title. midpack? remember also after trellis it was over for stoner. whitness 2008 2009 2010

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

YZRM1

vmax4steve i thought when rossi started to use bridgestone he took the title. midpack? remember also after trellis it was over for stoner. whitness 2008 2009 2010

Two things in that short statement show you haven't much of a clue what you're talking about...

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

Racecraft

I do realise you are stirring the pot, but utter tosh and nonsense mostly wosi, apart from 2012 where I agree more focus and patience could have won stoner the championship, the bike was certainly good enough at least in the latter half of the season, notwithstanding that his title hopes finished with an injury from a crash on a substandard track which he said was so, and which his and other crashes would seem to have proved.

How do you know the 2008, or even the 2007 ducati, had an advantage? Stoner being able to ride it 1.5 seconds a lap faster than should have been possible, as he demonstrated he could even the 2010 ducati in comparison with rossi, does not mean he had a bike advantage . Such luminaries as capirossi, burgess, guareschi the ducati test rider, and for that matter your boy vale himself have said it is impossible to replicate the way stoner rode the thing.

He also had no choice about how he rode the ducati; racecraft didn't come into it, that bike could be ridden to win in one way only, which he did  23 times as opposed to once by anyone else, and then in unusual circumstances. You must be aware of carlo pernat's public statements to that effect, and he surely is in a position to be better informed than me or even you. 

Valentino hasn't had a lot to say recently about his triumph at laguna seca 2008, since he actually got on the ducati at valencia in 2010 and realised, probably within 1 or 2 laps, that (as david emmett put it) stoner had been bringing a knife to a gunfight.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Tis the season to be jolly..tra-la-la-la-lah le-lah-lah-laaah.

Talking of which..I wonder if any of the #27er turkeys can help me out?

In a recent interview with Michael Scott over at Cycle News, Stoner talks about Ducati's.

"We played to the strengths and tried to minimize the weaknesses, and the bike proved to be competitive. I think there was only one year we weren't fighting for the championship, which was 2010. Each of those other years we had a very good shot until unfortunately I had my wrist torn to peices, then got ill in 2009."

So.. the bike was competitive until 2009.

2008 & 2009 it was Stoner letting the side down with crashes and time off to go fishing.

On the switch to CF from the steel trellis frame. "Of course it was better, because otherwise we'd have stuck with the trellis frame."

He begged for the CF bike and of course it was better?

Well how come his results got worse?

He won 16 races in two years on the bendy old trellis bike and managed a total of 7 victories during the subsequent two seasons on a bike that was obviously better? How can this be?

Can somebody explain how Rossi lapped as fast on his Ducati debut in Qatar 2011 finishing 7th, as he did the year before on the WC M1 while winning the race?

http://cyclenews.coverleaf.com/cyclenews/20121218#pg81

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

being competitive

Of course the bike was competitive in 2008 and 2009, which is not the same as it having an advantage. Ask marco melandri, or nicky hayden about the 2008 bike.

I go with agostini on stoner, who likened him to hailwood who could go fast on a  bad bike agostini considered unrideable but not necessarily much faster on what he (agostini) considered a good bike. I don't for a moment think stoner would be 2 seconds a lap faster than marco melandri on a factory honda or yamaha, and rossi quite possibly or even quite likely  would have been faster than him if both had been on factory yamahas in 2007. I don't think rossi would have got near stoner's times on the 2007 ducati though, bridgestones and all, it was the anti-rossi bike. 

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Pacey, are you on crack?..

..'Casey is not perfect.". I almost chocked on my cornflakes with this one. Of course he's bloody perfect - get a grip man!..

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

ah yes wosi

it`s what`s called progress.......could u also explain why stoner got off a bike only the day before.....that rossi got on and couldn`t get to within 2 seconds a lap of casey`s pace,but stoner got on the honda and nailed it straight away.......also casey did crash while trying to win races on the duke........uuuuummmmmm could u explain why rossi crashed???...cos it wasn`t from trying to win races!!!!

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Wosi's dodgy facts #

Can somebody explain how Rossi lapped as fast on his Ducati debut in Qatar 2011 finishing 7th, as he did the year before on the WC M1 while winning the race?

Lapped as fast?.....Bit of a play on words there, as Rossi's elapsed race time was 5 seconds slower than 2010. And the top 6 in 2011 was all inside Rossi's 2010 Yamaha time. Little wonder that he finished 7th then really eh?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

rossi's ducati debut at qatar 2011.

Easily explained, even if the conditions were exactly the same 12 months apart. Stoner crashed in 2010 but not in 2011.

If you want to give credit to rossi for not crashing the ducati on his debut, you may have a point, although he managed to crash it fairly consistently over the year, for which the explanation is also obvious, the thing was a total pig, as was the 2010 bike, which again doesn't have much to do with the racecraft of either rider. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices