Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Andy Dawson MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Andy Dawson

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Andy Dawson

In the second part of MCN’s exclusive series of Stoner memories, Ohlins suspension technician Andy Dawson, who worked with the Australian throughout his MotoGP career at Ducati and Honda, recalls his epic victory over Valentino Rossi and Dani Pedrosa at Catalunya in 2007 as one of the outstanding memories. “In Barcelona in 2007 we were in a bit of a mess...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 14:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RevNutz

Jan 13

RevNutz says:

MotoGP without Stoner

Arguably Stoner is one of the fastest people ever in one-lap, but I've never thought much of him as a pure racer like Rossi, this is clear since Rossi has seven MotoGP championships to Stoner's two. Don't get me wrong, it's sad to see him go, but I'll be much happier when Marquez comes up in 2013, when surely, with him in the field, the racing will be much more exciting than seeing Pedrosa, Stoner, and Lorenzo on the podium every race like it has been for the past 2 years. My prediction for the championship next year is: 1. Dani PEDROSA 2. Jorge LORENZO 3. Marc MARQUEZ

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

RevNutz - I don't understand

but I'll be much happier when Marquez comes up in 2013, when surely, with him in the field, the racing will be much more exciting than seeing Pedrosa, Stoner, and Lorenzo on the podium every race like it has been for the past 2 years

So if Marquez proves to be the all-conquering rider some expect him to be, are you saying it will be more exciting if he just pisses off into the distance and wins every race instead of Lorenzo or Pedrosa? How? Why? What's the difference?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Oh come on....

Arguably Stoner is one of the fastest people ever in one-lap, but I've never thought much of him as a pure racer like Rossi, this is clear since Rossi has seven MotoGP championships to Stoner's two.

Rossi's Motogp career - 2000  -  ?  total 13 years to date

Stoner's Motogp career - 2006 - 2012  total 7 years

Rossi has been in Motogp twice as long as Stoner so it would be one hell of an achievement for Stoner to have won more titles than Rossi don't you think?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Bulto...

PC- "No-one bettered his WC tally or came close to his wins/podium tally while he raced."

The clue's in his exact choice of words... actually JL pips him on the tally from when JL joined in 2008... Rossi's nowhere near... but technically, applied to Stoner's time in MotoGP, PC is correct...

Bulto - "Rossi has been in Motogp twice as long as Stoner "

...whereas Rossi will have to see out the 2013 season to have been in MotoGP twice as long as Stoner so you are incorrect.

"I know nowhere near everything and am quite happy to be corrected when wrong"

Cool... :smile

... it's early, so please feel free to correct me too.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

RevNutz

At the moment there are 2 aliens... Rossi will hopefully make it 3 again... & with yet more hope MM will make it 4. I'd have been happier if there had been 5 but that would mean somebody taking the factory Ducati ride & being happy with 5th (though Stoner took it to a close 4th 2 years running against a less-than-alien Dovi).

Reply to this Topic
RevNutz

Jan 13

RevNutz says:

Marc Marquez... BORING?

The racing in Moto2 has clearly been more exciting than the racing in MotoGP, and most of that excitement comes from Marc Marquez. Even if he does win 10 races a season in MotoGP like Stoner's done (only twice) I guarantee that most of them will be much more exciting to watch than Stoner. Also if you compare Stoner's 7 years in MotoGP to Rossi's first 7 years in MotoGP, Rossi won 5 world championships, and Stoner only won 2 world championships, and his were spread 4 years apart.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

RevNutz...

Mistakes in the lower classes are frequent, made by all & result in closer racing... mistakes in the premier class are punished by being made into an also-ran... your excitement may have to come from watching battles for 5th if it's Moto2 type racing you want to see.

MM was fast & made the fewest mistakes on quality machinery. Deservedly the champion... let's hope he can transfer that to MotoGP. If he does though, don't expect him to be any different to his main opposition... basically if he races like in they do in Moto2 he'll be 10 seconds in their wake.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

RevNutz

Even if he does win 10 races a season in MotoGP like Stoner's done (only twice) I guarantee that most of them will be much more exciting to watch than Stoner.

You didn't answer the question, probably because you missed the point.

I assume you mean Stoner was boring because there was no close racing and he just pissed off at the front when he won, whereas Marquez has been involved in close racing.

So has Stoner but I'll leave you to think otherwise if that's what you want to think.

My point was, that if Marquez is as fast as people think he will be, he'll be putting it on pole and unless he sfluffs his starts, he'll be into the lead and gone - so how is that more exciting than what we have already?

Reply to this Topic
RevNutz

Jan 13

RevNutz says:

Bultoboy

I completely understood your point and if you have been watching Moto2 this year you will have probably noticed that the racing is much more exciting than MotoGP. Marquez will probably be just as fast as Stoner, but I doubt he'll be running off into the distance every race like you think he will. Some riders prefer to use different strategies to others.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

RevNutz

I didn't say I thought Marquez would do that, I said if he is as fast as others seem to think he will be. So you didn't understand that...

Moto2 is closer racing because the bikes are closer and there are many more riders...

So you're saying Marquez won't take off if he can - then what do you think he will do. Tootle around in 4th or 5th and then make a late charge to excite the crowd by passing those in front and take a planned win on the line?

The only time he will be involved in close racing with someone is if they are as fast as he is in any particular race, whether that be for 1st or 5th place. If he can get past and pull away he will, if the other rider is able to stick with him, or vice-versa, they may have a battle swapping positions a few times - that applies to any of them.

So no, I still don't see what you're getting at and you don't seem willing to explain it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices