Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Chris Richardson MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Chris Richardson

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Chris Richardson

In the third part of MCN’s exclusive series of Stoner memories, Stoner’s former LCR mechanic Chris Richardson recalls his first encounter with the supremely talented Aussie. “My first year with Lucio (Cecchinello) was in 2002 and they just said this Australian guy was going to be doing his first year in Grand Prix with the team. But I’d not really heard of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 15:00)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

The stats also don't show the future

But the facts give a good indication. Stoner is 27 and out, had he continued to say the current benchmark 33 or 39 for CE111, 6-7 years, it's fair to assume his form would have continued on a similar trajectory before tailing off barring serious mishap. So, for arguments sake, let's say 6 years and the inability to win any more at say, erm, 31. If you score him low at 1 title and 20 wins then I'd challenge anyone to question him and if you score him high at 2 titles and 30 odd wins I wouldn't need to. I think a realistic assessment would place him much closer to Mick Doohan on titles if not equal which is where he belongs.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CCB

You need to draw breath as this is just plain ludicrous

To me and many others Rossi's career far outshine casey's and that is,nt twisting anything, its stating fact. and the only reason your all arguing back is because the truth hurts.

Whist I don't dispute that Rossi's title statistics outshine Stoner's, neither do I care. For you to say the truth hursta is just plain laughable - as though my life is affected in any way by which of two complete strangers wins a motorcycle championship.

You need to read MandyR's last line - And who was better to watch from the comfort of our armchairs.

That's the crux of it. The sheer disbelief at what he sometimes did on a bike that had you shaking your head in disbelief. Every corner of every lap on the Ducati looking like an accident waiting to happen. It made you sit up and take notice, got you on the edge of your seat. Watching him come out of the garage and set a fastest lap on his first flying lap. Lorenzo I can also appreciate with his absolute precision and smoothness but you don't watch him wide-eyed like you did Stoner. It's similar to watching the TT - no wheel to wheel racing there but to watch them wrestle the bikes through the town and village sections, bikes squirming everywhere and out of shape is what gets me watching it.

This greatness issue is nothing but absurd. Madonna and Rihanna have both sold many many more records than Shirley Bassey - are you going to tell me that those statistics mean they are greater singers than she is

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

And there's more

Did Rossi not beat Stoner in 08 ,09 and 010 0verall??? i thought so. So delete your only beat old men argument. Are you saying the Ducati held him back then??

Yes, Rossi finished ahead of him in the championship in those years - don't see your point. You mentioned 2001 - 2005 and I don't see the relevance of comparing periods in two rider's careers just because they were the same age in those periods. Stoner was up against Rossi, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, one rider in his prime and two just coming into theirs. Rossi was against a bunch of riders on the way down. Their ages may have been the same during the two periods you mention but their opposition wasn't and Rossi didn't win another 5 on the trot did he.

As for the Ducati, we all know it wasn't the best bike on the grid but neither was it a pile of shit. It was capable of winning races but obviously it wasn't easy to ride. Stoner cracked it in many races and it got the better of him in others. No-one else got close to winning on it, let alone 23 times

That makes Stoner a more vesratile rider than any of the others to date

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Cruxes

I see it like this, Valentino Rossi's stalking for 25 laps and then pouncing in the last couple of laps to take the victory, followed by a carefully arranged and rehearsed victory celebration makes a great spectacle until you look at the finer points. If he had enough tyre to break lap records on the penultimate/last lap on a regularly basis how much tyre did he have during the race? More importantly, why didn't he use it before as he obviously knew it was there? Ah yes, manufacturing a show, or, as other people call it, contrived. Overlay that with the Casey Stoner version which was to ride as quickly as is humanly possible from the first moment it mattered, which was generally from the start of every second lap in every session or crash trying. Plus trying and succeeding with regularity to scurry off into the distance like his arse was on fire, no fucking about just pure speed. Equally contrived if we're being honest and equally demonstrative of the character of the riders only without the huge media circus and money spinning PR machine on one side.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Mandy/bulto

Dispite what you may believe im a fair mind person like yourselves. ive just tired of the one eyed bullshit spoken by many in here. Rossi in his prime was every bit as good as Stoner has been in his. Yet all we seem to read on here is what a fake he was, he only won because he was on the best bike, tyres ,the rules were changed for him, and his competition was old etc. Every good rider gets advantages, gets away with things because of their status, its part of racing. What are they supposed to do ? not use them!. No Rossi beat Stoner fair and square in 2008 which many a 27er chooses to ignore. Yamaha came back with a better engine and yes because of his status Rossi got the bridgstones. two riders in their prime and Casey lost out. Theres far too many shit stirrers in here who just cant face the truth. The bloody crap i here about how good the Ducati is and was when Casey left is horseshit. Rossi's career and track record fell off a cliff because of that bike and my estimation of Casey rose dramatically over what he achieved on it. Yamaha have given Rossi another chance because who else is there? and they know he isnt washed up. They are both great riders with glittering careers ,i just wish some of the so called intellectuals in here would act like adults and see the truth for what it is. Ive always stated that IMO theres only a fag paper between all four of the aliens (if on a honda or a Yamaha) and still believe thats true today.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

ccb

No Rossi beat Stoner fair and square in 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing that Casey was 22/23yrs old in 2008, on his second season aboard the Duke and Rossi the 'GOAT' was in his prime?

Go Vale.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Pacey

There you go, you accuse me of morphing into wosi then refuse to see fact. Stoner won in 2007 in very dominant fashion, was supposed to go on a doohan/rossi period of titles and Rossi was finished ,past it etc. So Rossi showed his class and beat him fair and square,no shame in that. Rossi at the same age by the way was reeling of 5 titles in a row. You used to show more intelligence to my friend, a supportter of Casey yes, but never a blinkered fan boy. i will always say things as i see them. Rossi has to deliver this year to show if my judgement is correct, if not i will offer my humble apologies, but ive gone on the attack because of the the crap being spouted before a race has even been run.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

I'm guessing that Casey was 22/23yrs old in 2008, on his second season aboard the Duke and Rossi the 'GOAT' was in his prime?

Probably the weakest excuse of all time. Explain 2007 then Muppett?

I'll save you the bother..No more TYRE & ENGINE advantage.

Says it all that in 2007..Five of the top seven were on Bridgestone, including both Suzuki's. Look what happened to them when they lost the advantage? 

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

And while we're separating reality from fantasy

The bike. The Yamaha M1 to be precise, as the interview with Masao Furusawa about when he met Fillipo Preziosi confirmed for those who missed it, Mr Furusawa has identified that a key element of maximising a bikes performance was getting the balance of weight transfer backwards and forwards spot on, " getting the frequency of the front and rear suspension as close as to the same as possible" was what he reckoned was right. This coincided with both a new engine he and the engine boffins conjured up and the arrival of Valentino Rossi who at the time was the best rider available to rubber stamp whether they were indeed on to a winner. Plus some other bits no doubt ie electronics. Rossi can take some credit for confirming that things were going the right way but he by no means takes all or indeed the lion's share, that belongs to Furusawa and his staff of which Rossi was one don't forget. That's the reality but the fantasy is that Rossi did either all by himself or was the key element in making it happen.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Evening Wosi

Sorry, morning. Owt to say that isn't either antagonistic or just abusive? I can do all flavours if you fancy it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle