Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Chris Richardson MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Chris Richardson

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Chris Richardson

In the third part of MCN’s exclusive series of Stoner memories, Stoner’s former LCR mechanic Chris Richardson recalls his first encounter with the supremely talented Aussie. “My first year with Lucio (Cecchinello) was in 2002 and they just said this Australian guy was going to be doing his first year in Grand Prix with the team. But I’d not really heard of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 15:00)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

only 2 titles

I don't think anyone who has won 2 premier class titles has been forgotten in the past or is likely to be forgotten in the future. Winning 38 premier class races, currently the fourth most premier class wins ever, which is likely to remain imo among the top ten for race wins for all time, is also (again imo) unlikely to be forgotten. It is also unlikely that it will be forgotten that stoner  won ducati's only title while that remains the case, and a first requirement for his memory to fade would seem to be for someone else to at least win a race for ducati.

It will obviously always be the case that rossi won many more titles than stoner. Unfortunately for you rossi and stoner appear to be inextricably linked, as this and other current threads once again demonstrate, and it will likely also (once again imo) always be remembered in the context of rossi that stoner won 23 races and a title for ducati to rossi's 0 race wins and 0 titles for them.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Define greatness?

Rather simple really CCB. It is the awe and esteem in which an individual is held by peers, comtemporaries and adversaries. In this respect none of the modern generation can hold a candle to Stoner. He IS the one they all feared the most on track. Go back and read some quotes by Lorenzo, Spies, Edwards or even your fallen yellow sun god.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Hmm greatness then

Rossi 2001 to 2005 the same age as Stoner in timeline five world titles in five years, 500cc 990cc 4 stroke and two different manufacturers, 51 race wins by the age of 27 (and 125 and 250 championships earlier) Stoner two world titles in 800 cc and 38 race wins (no titles in lower classes. Define greatness again?? and yes Rossi was the one they all feared too..

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Define Greatness?

Firstly, I've just been down to my local library to reserve copies of the MotoGP record books, I presumed there were multiple copies as I've never heard it mentioned singularly, imagine my surprise when the old dear behind the counter told me they don't exist in print as a tangible entity but she had an old copy of MotoCourse if I was interested? Apparently it was well thumbed and pages 46 and 47 were stuck together she said. Anyway, I digress, on your theory CCB are you suggesting Sir Stirling Moss meets your criteria as obviously the old crapper couldn't muster a world title? Are you suggesting that he's laughed at in the paddock and considered a loser? Of course you're not, you're not quite that daft or blinkered, so, take that in, read between the lines and apply that logic to your argument. You're argument on Casey Stoner is based solely on YOUR opinion and revolves around the fact that you don't like him. The reason you don't like him starts and ends with a #46. The end

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CCB

You're now being just plain silly

2000 - 2006 (not 2001 - 2005) Rossi had the benefit of being on a bike at least equal to that of any other and usually better. Clear no.1 status at Yamaha and he was far younger than any of his main opponents who were all on their way out rather than up.

BUT, he did what he did, made the best use of the bikes given to him and beat whoever he raced against - he's not to account who was in Motogp at the time, although in later years we would see him try to dictate that he didn't have a team mate of equal status/ability or that team mate get equal equipment (a mark of fair play and true greatness - trying to stack the odds...)

Stoner from 2006 spent one year on a second rate bike with second rate tyyres, then spent the next 4 years on a bike no-one else could podium or put on pole, never mind win races and a championship.

Hardly a like for like comparison is it.

Lorenzo is a far more complete rider for those reasons and so was/ Rossi

He's a far more complete rider whjen it suits the argument - not too long ago he was being labelled as having no fight because he allowed Pedrosa to run away with race wins  -  there is so much hypocisy and bollocks on this site. And when have you ever seen Rossi settle for second - he'll ram someone off the track rather than take second ffs.

When people look in the record books it will say Rossi 9x world champion , Stoner 2 x world Champion, no one will give too shit about his number of race wins.

Only in the minds of people who give a shit about that sort of thing. How many people will look back and remember the way Stoner rode that Ducati, or the way he drifted a bike around PI - Ducati or Honda - leaving you shaking your head in disbelief at what he was doing. Both wheels on the kerb with the bike sideways, jumping the bike across the kerb at Silverstone during quali in 2011 while on full lean - how many instances can you recall of Rossi or Lorenzo forcing a bike like he did - titles? so what.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Bultoboy

R I G H T O N B R O T H E R

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Hmm bulto

and all the other Orange thong wavers in here, you cant have it all ways up. Did Rossi not beat Stoner in 08 ,09 and 010 0verall??? i thought so. So delete your only beat old men argument. Are you saying the Ducati held him back then?? ( because i have stated many times that it did) because if thats the case, it also back up my argument that the bike is a sack of shit that only Casey could ride and has nothing to do with him being past it. To me and many others Rossi's career far outshine casey's and that is,nt twisting anything, its stating fact. and the only reason your all arguing back is because the truth hurts. Stoner a genius no doubt but a flawed one.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

and

it was 2001 to 2005 for Rossi 2007 to 2011 to stoner date from first world title in the top class and comparable age...;)

Reply to this Topic
dacron

Sep 11

dacron says:

does not compute pute pute

i think car cleaner is a fembot or something , never seen anyone post so many comments with the exact same message but the sentences switched around to make it appear different. whats more is the comments are the opposite to what the pros who worked with casey are all saying on these very threads. you seem to have far too many opinions bro and very selective facts to try make your opinions look feasible. i bet you a bunch if vale had more wins than casey during there time together that stat would be one of your faves eh.....cheers.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

You can't have it all ways either, that's the point

Statistically Rossi's record obviously outshines Stoner's but statistics don't show you how it came to be do they? They can give you a fair idea at best. To know how those figures came about you have to look at the facts which will be in words as a rule apart from the ones that are spoken. You're being very one dimensional CCB and deliberately trying not to look at the whole picture and the actual reality. The reasons are there in print, nobody with any sense disputes this, errr hang on. Is Valentino Rossi a better statistical rider than Casey Stoner, derrr, obviously, and has never been in question by rational, balanced and reasonably intelligent people. Is Valentino Rossi a better physical actual rider than Casey Stoner? Hmmmm highly, highly questionable, Rossi faced lesser opponents (earlier on) and was on better machinery (mostly) and had a variety of things tailored to suit him (tyres, treatment, rules as required and the governing body to name a few). Casey Stoner pretty much had the opposite of all that. So what does that tell you? Fortunately we are able to compare them directly as they existed outside of this website and actually raced each other, in real life, for 6 years apparently. The record books say Rossi won 2 titles and 26 races in that time to Stoner's 2 titles and 38 wins, we won't count podiums, poles and fastest laps because as you say, they don't define greatness. So based on those carefully arranged statistics who is the better rider? And who was better to watch from the comfort of our armchairs.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices