Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner memories: Lucio Cecchinello MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner memories: Lucio Cecchinello

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner memories: Lucio Cecchinello

In the sixth part of MCN’s exclusive series of Stoner memories, Lucio Cecchinello, who gave Stoner his first Grand Prix ride and big break into MotoGP in 2006, talks about their time together. “We played a big part in the early story of Casey when we worked with him for one season in 125s, two in 250s and one in MotoGP. "At...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 December 2012 15:38)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
PCUser271

Jul 12

PCUser271 says:

Wosi

ever heard of him?

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

wow

hearing this you did'nt always remember him like rossi was remembered but he still was world class and for the sake of the sport hope taking only one year out is enough for him.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

What would have been had Casey won on the LCR in his 3rd race great ride just pipped on the line by Melandri.

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

lcr

just had a look at the results of Stoner on the lcr and he finished his first season in the same place as Bradl but with less points i wonder if he'll have the same success?

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Lcr have some great livery's on their bikes. I reckon the LCR Honda riidden by Bradl this seizon was a pretty bike. Stoner's first bike at LCR was cool as well with an Aussie flag front fender. There are at least some podiums up for grabs this year for Stefan and his team. After all he's getting Hrc support and Marc Marquez will take a few Alliens down in the first races.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Strength to Lucio

Yes,this a Casey topic,but Lucio within his own right deserves a slap on the back. Integrity personified. His LCR outfit have weathered many storms with many riders. No doubt Casey is one fondly remembered. Randy and now Stefan.

I'm not inclined right now to research rookie of the year 2006. It don't matter. Rookie of the year 2012 was Bradl and well deserved. 

But's and If''s. If Lucio had the clout at his disposal that the likes of Jarvis and Gresini enjoy the sport would certainly be more dynamic on any Sunday.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Race craft?

"This developed Casey’s mind from a very young age to do this and it was a big weapon for him in MotoGP. He needed no time to build up his speed and that was very impressive."

It was a weapon when it worked but too often it seemed, Stoner never had a plan B.

If he couldn't make a break and skedaddle he'd burn his tyres up and suffer later in the race or..he'd crash trying.

Five race crashes within Six laps 2010 was NOT taming the beast..it's Five crashes. Pushing too hard too soon.

38 wins in six seasons says he should have won more titles if not for the lack of race craft.

All the limited mileage in testing and practice indicate that Stoner thought he didn't have to put the hard yards in, especially after he moved to Honda and was on the best bike.

Did he under estimate his opposition, prefering to be cheeky and laugh in their faces by using this fast from the off tactic to demoralise, and leave others scratching heads?

Of course he did..it was kinda Casey's signature wasn't it?

Genius when pulled off..Not so clever when it backfired and his championship hopes disintegrated.

Still..who gives a fck. It's all about the wins innit?

The championship is just a bonus at the end of the year?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

racecraft

I think you have played this record before wosi.

You can criticise stoner's racecraft at sachsenring in 2012 when, in the interests of winning the championship at least, he should have settled for second, and in the subsequent race where I still don't understand what went on.

The guy who you consider to have the best racecraft in history, a view I would not dispute btw, crashed the 2011 ducati about as much as stoner crashed the 2010 ducati, and there are those including carlo pernat, valentino rossi himself (and me) who consider that this may have been somewhat related to the flawed nature of the bike, with valentino concurring with stoner that the the front gave way on the thing fairly randomly and without warning. Stoner himself said that his early season 2010 loses were often when he eased off which apparently caused the (by then unsuitable) tyres to lose heat.  

I believe stoner won on the ducati in the only way it was possible to win, by going flat out all the way, and we both know there is no evidence that winning in any other way was possible. In his race wins at the end of 2010 apart from going back to the old forks he took the odds on losing the bike while the front tyres got sufficiently warm to operate reliably, and a consequence of this was dnfs mixed up with wins. On the evidence of rossi's perfromances in 2011 any alternative strategy may well still have resulted in loses/dnfs but definitely would not have resulted in any wins. I don't think he had much choice on the ducati in other years either. On the better developed and less flawed 2011 honda he did show an ability to employ alternative strategies, and to settle for placings in the interests of the championship when appropriate. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Only you Wosi

Still..who gives a fck. It's all about the wins innit?

As you keep banging on about it over and over

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Racecraft doesn't count for shit Wosi when you're up against a bloke whose worst result is 2nd like George this year and being fast from the off is just an alternative style. Racing to win is a bloody champion choice, anything else is for the factories or the anorak fans and don't beat yourself up over it if you can't understand that it's just as much work (if not more!) to plug 3 record pace laps than 50 laps 2 seconds off the pace like your boyfriend.

As I've said before, it's easier to remember individual races for their excitement than a ho-hum championship. Good to see you starting to think like a real fan for a change.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices