You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > trying to choose my 1st bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

m4rt86

Dec 12

m4rt86 says:

trying to choose my 1st bike

Hi was wondering if anyone can help I am a new rider trying to find a 125cc cruiser to get around on but the ones I have seen are really small I play rugby and im 6,3 and 17st so want something that my knees are not higher than the tank and will get my big ass up hills :p

so far I have found:

daelim 125cc evolution

jinlun 125cc jl 2007

gilera cougar

anyone reccomend any of these or another bike??

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 December 2012 18:56)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

First bike

With your height and build the last thing you want is a cruiser.  Look for a trials bike as not only will you find it more comfortable but also easier to live with.

Reply to this Topic
m4rt86

Dec 12

m4rt86 says:

Thanks but trials bikes hurt my wrist's for some reason so my instructor recommended a cruiser but the problem is im too big for them may just skip the 125cc route but I would rather do it to get some decent time and experience on the roads before taking the big bike test

Reply to this Topic
vGOLLUMv

Jun 12

vGOLLUMv says:

1st bike choice

you could try the derbi cross city very good bike brilliant review and video on mcn which is why i got one,

Reply to this Topic
dayle14gb

Dec 12

dayle14gb says:

See my picture

Have you considered the KTM Duke 125 (see my picture)? I'm 6'1 and 16st and the KTM feels perfect! Very good looking street fighter look, very good fuel economy, very reliable, and a very nice sound! It does come with a price tag that reflects it's positives but to me- it is the perfect all rounder!

Reply to this Topic
dayle14gb

Dec 12

dayle14gb says:

See my picture

Have you considered the KTM Duke 125 (see my picture)? I'm 6'1 and 16st and the KTM feels perfect! Very good looking street fighter look, very good fuel economy, very reliable, and a very nice sound! It does come with a price tag that reflects it's positives but to me- it is the perfect all rounder!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Trials

And the supermoto class which is what you'd really want should place the least pressure on your wrists with sports bikes creating the most issues.

There are two possibles - one, you have a problem with lack of flexibility in your wrists or something like de quervain's tenosynovitis, carpel tunnel, etc.

The second and most likely problem is that you're not riding in the correct position and you have an instructor who doesn't seem to care about correcting this.

The correct position is simple - relax your shoulders, relax your arms, drop your elbows down so your forearms are parallel to the road surface and don't grip the bars too hard. You should be able to flap your arms like a demented chicken at any point. Most learners will tense up which means their wrists will hurt unless you get taught properly what to do regarding body position.

A cruiser is just.... it's... well..... can we convince you that a cruiser is just not for you? Or pretty much anyone who rides on UK roads?

Actually, the supermotos should have seats which allow you to move forward and back allowing you to get the best position for you or the style of riding you're adopting at the time.

The KTM Duke is also a good bike as above.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Riding positions

A cruiser position is comfortable provided rear suspension is good quality & doesn't aim shocks at your spine. A back rest is also required, you wouldn't drive a car with no seat back? Alternatively fit higher bars to any bike.

Reply to this Topic
m4rt86

Dec 12

m4rt86 says:

really set on getting a cruiser I think just prefer the look and ride position just awkward finding a big 125 my wrists I think maybe carpel tunnel due to the gym, also my mate also wants a 125cc but he is nearly 20st would it get him up hills? haha we live in wales so steep hills everywhere.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices