You are in... Forums > General > General > Unexplainable yearning for an R1

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Unexplainable yearning for an R1

Hi strangers :lol:

Lately I've had strange urges...to own an R1. I don't know if I'll do anything about fulfilling them or not but I've been considering anything from '04-'07 or maybe even '08. Any opinions on those models anyone?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 December 2012 11:34)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Hi Barney

..and welcome back.:winkie:.. long time no see.

R1's - great bikes.:winkie: I owned an 04 for a while and have ridden the newer 'cross-plane crank' model.

The 04 was a good bike, handled well and fast as f*ck from 7000 rpm ..just felt it lacked a bit of low down / mid range grunt compared to the gixxer.

Love the cross-plane crank version, sounds fantastic, more mid range grunt and feels more like a big V-twin than an in line 4....with instant throttle reaction :smile

If you can stretch to a cross-plane crank one (2009 onwards) - it's worth it.:winkie:   

Otherwise the 07/08 model has more grunt than the 04/05/06.

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

R1

I thought sports bikes were going out of fasion ?:blink:

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Hey Kam

Thanks, yeah it's been a loooong time!:laugh:

That's the first comparison I've heard which favours the cross plane over the older 'screamer' engine. Everybody agrees on the lower range punch like you said but i suppose it's all down to preference.

I myself do like V's as I love the SV1000 I currently own, so anything 'like' a V can't be a bad thing. Although I've been told the cross plane would be a tad thirstier, I can't confirm that as I haven't compared factory data.

Also, price is a fairly big factor, so it might have to be something a little older.

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Barney

I guess it IS a personal preference thing at the end of the day ...if you can, the best thing would be to try and get a ride on the bikes and see how you feel about them....They are all good. But for me it would be cross-plane crank version. :winkie:  

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Me too Kam

However,there is a certain appeal to the older ones which I can understand,in a vaguely similar way to enjoying the delights of a well set up TZ350.  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Test rides

Yeah Kam I'll have to get on as many as possible to see how they feel. Not in this bloody weather though! :wacko:

Maybe some people take what you said, Paul to a higher level, in so much as they loved the older engines and just resent Yamaha for messing about with it to that extent, regardless if it's a positive result or not. Well that's what I think anyway.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Ah

There's always those Barney,but in all honesty,both are good. Personally,I'd spend my money on the later version,but I still enjoy a blast on the early types now and then. :smile

Reply to this Topic
captsteve

Dec 12

captsteve says:

R1

I've had a few R1's 

1998 brilliant, killed it on a track day (crashed oops!)

2001 nice ride but the 98 was a bit more scary

2004 to begin with liked it but did find it flat mid range and i mean flat up  to7k then good fun.

2010 Best one yet i might change it for a panigale but would test ride first 

by the way i had never test ridden any of the R1's ive had. 

as for fuel consumption i get about 28-33 depending on how i'm riding its got akroprovic cans and it sounds great 

Steve

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Can anybody tell me..

How they compare for engine braking before and after the introduction of big bang?

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Phew!

That was a long time ago Barney. But I do know we're slowing down because of the moon  :wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices