Skip to content

Ask an Expert winter tyres? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > winter tyres?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Valko

May 12

Valko says:

winter tyres?

need a little help here, I am born again biker and 25 years ago nobody was bothering with helmets what about proper tyres.

Having been car driver during this time I know for sure now you need proper winter tyres below 7 degrees with special silica rubber that will make your tyre stick on the tarmac even without ice and snow.

I was looking for proper motorcycle winter tyres and it seems only one german company called Heidenau tyres are available in UK.

My question is for all of you all year riders, do you guys use winter tyres here in UK and if not why?

Do not see any winter tyres tests in MCN either.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 December 2012 23:10)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

winter tyres

Never used them,just slowed down on the tyres fitted.

Sports tyres are softer grippier,

German tyres (metz) should be ok and what you say,

There could be a ruling on bike tyres used in winter in Germany :unsure:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You won't

I'd take a guess at most people not being stupid enough to take a bike out in snow and ice.

I however am.

There aren't any proper winter tyres so what you look for is compound and tread pattern. My tyres are designed to "switch on" at low temperatures and have a semi off road tread pattern allowing it to cope better with grit and snow. It will still not grip on sheet ice and I won't even try it. Snow... yet to find out. I went on off road reports which stated these cut through the dirt properly so here's hoping. I've used all manner of tyres on snow. It's just a matter of slowing down - the tyre type determines to what degree.

Those are Michelin Anakee 2s but there are quite a few more off road tyres which should work in snow.

Most bike tyres have an amount of silica in as it helps grip in the wet. What you're looking for is those that advertise a high silica content along with the appropriate tread pattern. If you get what are basically cut slicks you'll come off just on the grit they put down as they go over the top these days anyway. This is ignoring them dropping heaps of the stuff at junctions and on roundabouts where they're going slower which I don't ever remember them doing before.

You can however do the opposite of deep tread and 'low temperature' tyres. I did an emergency, very high speed ride on "track day and hard road riding" tyres which had a reasonable tread on one christmas day. The gritters had not been around and there was ice all over - I passed one or two cars embedded in signposts.

To give you an idea of how hard I was pushing it, thrashing the bike on this route in the height of summer with all green lights took me 28 mins. I didn't get all green lights and did it in 32mins. I went over ice, and full pelt round roundabouts with no problem. Granted I straight lined it over the ice and was lucky but still.

What this shows is that some tyres which are very, very soft (a light 400cc did a rear in under 3000miles) with a high silica content will stick in winter even though they're for fast summer riding. It's all down to researching the compound used and thinking very hard about whether this is really suited.

I doubt many manufacturers will advertise "winter" tyres as frankly that encompasses everything from the warm rainy conditions of today to solid ice and they'll just get sued.

EDIT: I'm a little pished by the way.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

plil

your pished,

who mentioned tyres for snow/ice?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

he

said winter.... that has snow and ice in it.

I'm also on prescription painkillers. Some doctor told me I could sell these for a fortune.... what I don't get is that they don't make me high, just..... bleugh, so why would anyone want them?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

winter

means more rain/sleet,prescription painkillers don`t work for me,what`s yours? 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Mine

are oxycodone both as slow release (oxycontin) and instant release (oxynorm).

They're not perfect but they take the edge off and don't make me completely batty like morphine does.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

thank you Phil

good explanation its clear to me now :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN