You are in... Forums > General > General > bike as only vehicle

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

patja

Dec 12

patja says:

bike as only vehicle

i have a car - volvo s80 - with heated leather seats, abs brakes, 2,4 engine and about 20 mpg. Its nice and warm to drive whatever the weather. But I miss my bike - xtz750 super tenere, which was too high for me, too heavy in town, too uncomfortable to drive with passenger, was a bit too heavy with petrol. and it wasnt too pleasant to drive in uk - it is a bike for driving on the bad roads fast, and there are no roads for this kind of bike. I was driving every day. when its cold outside - i was freezing, when it was rainy i was wet. you find a lot of bike minuses when you have to ride it every day. thats why I`ve bought a car - to keep my ass warm. and now i want to sacrifice with comfort  to biking. I never drove bike all year round.  So, if somebody driving bike all year and use it as only vehicle could you share your experience how is it. how to dress warm enough and still look casual? how to fight rain drops on visor? can actually bike replace car as only vehicle?i need bike for everything - commuting, shopping, driving out for long weekend with girlfriend. and i cant afford bike and a car. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 December 2012 20:28)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Oh god

It has to be loaded. Where would be the fun if not :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
georgyspiros

Dec 12

georgyspiros says:

I has

loaded weapon but keep it under bed in case wifey number the second get green horned eye monster and try kill donkee. He got my best weapon pointing in him.:wink:

Happynessness peeps. Nessnessmerry.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

oy georgy

Im all for the animal rights, she kill donkey, i kill her. Not with  gun obviously. Me bare hands. you lay off the donkey as well, it don't have a say :mad:

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Back on subject

If you want to replace a car with a motorcycle and have the bike do the things you want from a car, then buy a convertable sports car, a very fast one and you might get near to some of the joys of riding a motorcycle.

I ride all year not out of choice or to be 'manly' but because the car decided to seize up and I've not been able to afford to replace it this winter. Running costs (fuel, insurance etc) of a car are usually a lot higher and with the miles I do the money I'm saving on fuel is paying for the finance on my bike.

I have made some modifications though; I've got a naked bike and have added a screen, handguards, heated grips and soft luggage which will hold as much shopping as one of those shallow supermarket trolleys. I wear an all-in-one textile suit over warm base layers whenever I know I'll be doing over 50mph for any length of time.

Water-beading can be helped with some sprays you add to your visor but usually on the motorway the airflow clears your visor anyway. In town flip your visor up.

My wife is not a big fan of riding pillion unless it's for pleasure but luckily she has a decent car so long journeys with the missus or 'big shops' will be done on four wheels.

If you want to ride all year or get in a position where you have to then you can make it work and believe me it can be fun (like trying to stay alive in the snow) but the worst weather for me is constant rain and high winds, even the best 'waterproof' boots struggle when they're being jet-blasted by water at 70mph for hours on the motorway.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

TWO WHEELED CAR

Lordy there's some small minded racist twats on here, or what? You really need either a big scooter or a shafty tourer with heated grips & enough storage to leave riding wear on board. ENJOY!

Reply to this Topic
patja

Dec 12

patja says:

cant quote previous posts   :huh: 

dont get me wrong - i`m not afraid to ride in rain. i`ve been riding in snow as well, but only for fun, not because "i need to". 

2 AdieR 
gold wing is too overpriced. but bmw k1200lt is good enough for same money. Honda 1985 costs about 5k same as bmw 2000-2003. 

DazLoczy, spondonste thanks for reply. how many gear for all year riding you have?
bike is cheaper to run if you compare insurance and petrol, but for bike you  buying lots of stuff - helmets, jackets, gloves, there are lots of useful thing you want to buy. and when  you add them to the price you may found that bike is not that cheap after all.   

also a  question - does anybody keep bike outside all year with the chain around lamp post? hows rust?thieves? vandals? at the moment i have a so called garage, it looks more like a shed for me, but if I`ll move out I dont want to look for another house with garage...

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Attached images:

1. aag  
  2. aag  
Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

ELP

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I must be doing something wrong

My car is much cheaper to run than my bike but I prefer to use my bike every day as I find it more comfortable and I just enjoy it more.

Car costs £30 to tax and does over 70 to the gallon. Insurance costs peanuts.

The only real drawback to commuting on the bike in winter is the time it takes to get all the gear on and off and having to wait for the bike to cool down a little before I put the cover on for the night. And having to spend time cleaning it at the weekend even if the weather's bad.

Hmm. Maybe I should use the car more. :upset:

Reply to this Topic
patja

Dec 12

patja says:

The only real drawback to commuting on the bike in winter is the time it takes to get all the gear on and off and having to wait for the bike to cool down a little before I put the cover on for the night. And having to spend time cleaning it at the weekend even if the weather's bad. 

+100500. it took me 35-40 minutes to go to work on bike(opening garage, clothing, warming, and finally - driving. and at work again - taking all protective clothing down and bla bla bla ) and 15-25 minutes on a car (depending on the traffic)

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

I think

it just all depends on your preference.

You got to be an enthusiast to to ride a bike,and either you are or you arnt. If you just want to get there in comfort then its probably not for you.But if you want to enjoy traveling around then it maywell be for you.

A car is definetly a more sensible form of transport,although in my opion very boring and i'd rather be rideing when ever posible.

I commute all year round,5 miles into a city centre. Its fantastic in the summer but can be harsh in the winter. But if your going to ride all year round you have to accept the ups,and downs.For me the ups out weigh the downs.

And on the weekends when I get out onto the open roads and let rip, well its just fantastic.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices