General BMW F800S/ST General

You are in... Forums > General > General > BMW F800S/ST

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BelfastBiker1122

Sep 10

BMW F800S/ST

I'm currently in the market for a bike at the right price and one has come up :shock: so I was doing a bit of research on it. It's a 2007 BMW F800ST and I couldn't find a list on the internet(in forums reviews etc) of just common faults. I know you will probably be asking why I want to know that its so that I can if they have been sorted and if not find out how much it will cost to have the problem rectified (assuming it's past its warranty period) by a dealer then subtract it from the asking price. Also does anyone know if you can buy warranty from BMW ? 

Thanks Paul 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 December 2012 23:34)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

that' s the one unit

but I' d want cast rather than spoked wheels. I' 'll run the bird and v- storm this year, let any teething problems get ironed out, and hopefully get one early 2014. 

They aren't too tall ks, could get both feet down ok at NEC. They were keen to book test rides too, bm reasonably so, others hardly at all.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Mostly

If you really want a KTM and know for certain you're going to love it,go for it. If however you intend shifting it on,be prepared for either a big hit,or being stuck with it.  Doesn't always happen,but it's usually the case

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

pdj

The new one seems more mainstream than some of the older adventure stuff, but a test ride will ascertain whether I can justify 13k on a bike! If not, I may have the bird tweaked to get it over 200. just to see how it feels:smile

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Test ride

I'd be fairly sure you'd enjoy it really,accepting what they basically are obviously and to be honest,on the move they're quite reasonable. Spending my own money on one though?.never!   (Not unless I intended to keep it that is)

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

at that price

I' d have to keep it. Too dear to change for a while, unless I couldn't find another way to get a divorce!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Kris m8

can i have this one pls :wink::smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

BMW F800S

Hi Paul,

I have had the F800 for about two years - just over 25000 miles. They are basically a good bike and are generally built with real nice quality components. There is a lot of Aluminium and the electronics are Canbus so the wiring is simple and clean. Like any BMW car or bike the cost of the extras are mouth watering (can only be fitted when new) and should be used by you to assess if you want the bike - most of the extras are valuable - for example I have the tyre pressure control and it has alerted me to new punctures twice! I have never knowingly used the ABS but the gear indicator and the mpg indicator (supplied by the computer) is often used. The bike has also alerted me when my HID kit blew its ballast and so stopped working! The BMW heated grips are very good and almost essential. The only obviously poor finish item is the engine - the paint flakes.
The BMW top box and panier sets are mouth wateringly expensive to buy new and rarely if ever come up on ebay...
The bike is very cheap to run. Economy is much better than my ER6 or Deauville was and servicing is little and very infrequently (6000 mile intervals and rare adjustments). Similarly it is gentle on tyres. The belt drive has proved to be perfect. They cost about £300 to replace and should be done at 24K but mine is sitting at 33K and doesn't need it. They do a good job of feeling like a chain but having the ease of maintenance of a shaft (I'm saving a fortune in chain lube too)...
As a tourer they are not incredibly comfortable (e.g. they are not all-day comfortable) but as an allround bike they are pretty good. They are also small and relatively easy for me to move around. They have similar performance (or slightly better) than a budget 600 such as Bandit, ER6F etc. They have usable grunt at the bottom but quite a fun turn of speed when revved (although ultimately a Hornet has quite a bit more). Can be much fast enough when needed and they have a bit of a Porsche Boxter exhaust noise when revved (a good thing). Their handling and suspension is pretty good. They have decent springs and dampers and don't mess around on bumps on corners etc. When you first ride one watch the rev limiter (the red line is at 8000 and it comes fairly quick).
There was definitely a weakness in the fuel pump - basically if the fuel tank is less than half full and you pull clutch in and the engine dies its probably needs a new fuel pump. I have had mine replaced 18 months ago...
The other possible issue with your bike is a bit of piston slap. The earlier engines (mine included) make a little of noise when cold but go on forever. This was changed around 2008/2009. Some of the original 2006 bikes had to have their engines replaced but that's unlikely to effect your bike.
I have not heard much about wheel bearings - I suspect that was a one off.
The headlight used by the F800, the R1200GS and others is useless. That's why many BMW owners use HID conversions. Without the conversion you can't see manholes in urban locations (or anything out of town) when on dip beam...

Insurance seems fairly cheap but make sure you get a quote for all the factory fitted extras - some insurance companies play stupid with this...

There is a forum for F800 owners but its not easy to join... You should check out the issues with any new bike before you buy it - there are quite a lot of known issues with Japanese bikes too...

I like my BMW dealer - they are friendly helpful and keen to help - most unlike the car dealerships but I would give your local dealer a call and ask them about servicing costs, intervals etc to see how well they react to a prospective customer if you are likely to be going in a lot....

Overall I regret not buying one earlier and scarily might even consider buying a F800ST at some future time. They make brilliant commuter bikes and are quite fun when you want them to be. They are very cheap to run, and there isn't much similar (For

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Andy...

Excellent post mate, thanks.

This is not my thread but I similarly have been toying with F800 thoughts for a while now and your post is prob about the best review I have seen... Cheers fella!

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Thanks

Glad to be of help.

My post got truncated (too verbose) when I was trying to sum up...

so I will take the hint.

Andy.

Almost - Just realized I forgot to mention the indicators which are pretty weird on this vintage BMW. (They have separate buttons on the left and right bar and cancel). They changed them on last year's F800ST. If you only have one bike they are fine and you notice the normal indicator multi-switches feel cheap in comparison when you ride another bike (although the horn button always catches me out on the F800 since that isn't in the obvious place either  - why has MCN never noticed that I wonder?)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle