Skip to content

Ask an Expert Need a new commuter Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Need a new commuter

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Squircle

Jul 12

Squircle says:

Need a new commuter

My 2011 CBF125 was written off just before Christmas (guy on phone not looking) and once I get the payout I need to get a replacement fairly sharpish. I bought the bike new and rode it every day to and from work for the last year and a half.

My budget would be between £2-3000 (just for the bike). However I am perfectly happy to spend less if there is something worth considering.

I could replace it with another CBF but now I've owned one I kinda fancy something different. Also, after passing my full test this July I bought a Street Triple that I use for sunny weekends and after riding that I found the CBF a bit lacking in power. I could travel to work on the motorway but because the 125 wasn't powerful enough I tended to use the A roads which took a bit longer.

Good MPG is important so 125s are obviously an option but I'm wondering if there is anything second hand that I'm not considering? My mileage is roughtly 5000 per annum. Something that could accomodate a topbox or panniers would be useful too. I'm fairly short so tall bikes aren't really suitable, and whatever I get has to be at home filtering through Manchester city centre.

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 December 2012 17:27)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

CBF500?

Seem bulletproof, well finished, shortie friendly, decent commuter returning 35-70 mpg depending how you ride, Givi rack will take big topbox and then you can still filter.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Perfect for...

almost anything. Seriously with a mileage of 5000 petrol and servicing shouldn't cost too much on any bike. You want a relatively small bike that will filter and go on Motorways and judging from your mileage you don't need a huge fairing etc (so a Deauville etc is way over the top and too tall for ease of handling for you). Almost anything will take a top box and paniers although getting them fitted can cost if they are not already on so I would try and factor that in to your search.
I'm a little surprised you aren't considering the street for this. I would have thought it was perfect. Small and powerful with a reasonable amount of low end for low speed use. I wouldn't have thought you likely to save money running two bikes when you have an annual mileage of 5000 miles (the mpg benefits of a small bike won't compensate for the extra insurance, mot etc)
As a commuter on its own (i.e. ignoring the difficulty of saving money) the CBF500 is a good suggestion (if you can get one). Its brother the CBF600N is more thirsty but easier to get. The CBF600SA is also a worthy bike. Not too big and very easy to ride. Another similar bike would be a Kawasaki ER6F or Yamaha TDM900(perhaps a little tall?). Normally I would also suggest a Fazer FZ6 but its a bit low on grunt so might not be as good for town work. I can't really see what anyone of these is giving you vs the street though - perhaps if you want a contrast try a small scooter (e.g. Yamaha 250 XMax)  (which usually have better luggage carrying and better weather protection but aren't too big to preclude filtering - the Suzuki 400 Bergman etc are very long). or even an MP3 (Three wheeler to give you a bit more ice protection)?
The other option other than just running the street is to use the street for your commute and buy something else as well...  (e.g. Suzuki SV1000, Aprilla, Yamaha FZS1000/ FZ1).
Hope that helps...

Andy.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

ER6n/f

I love my ER6n as it's not just a good commuter but a good all-rounder too. If you want something smaller and sportier why not take a look at the new Kawasaki Ninja 300 or for something more commuter focused the Susukia Inazuma 250 is getting rave reviews. New these are a bit more than your top budget though.

Also worth a look would be the second hand midrange (between 400-750cc) cruiser market, like the Yamaha Star range (including over Viragos), Honda Shadow, Kawasaki EN etc which are pretty light and easy to handle with the low centre of gravity and low seat. Performance is not as nippy as a standard bike but you'll still beat the average car away from the lights. If you can stretch to it the modern midsize cruisers are a little bigger (between 750-900cc) and while heavier perform a lot better. MPG is still pretty good.

The classic style bikes are another option, Royal Enfield are pretty cheap and much better than they used to be. MPG is great and depending on the model can look pretty cool too. To the untrained eye some could be mistaken for a Triumph Bonnie or Kawasaki W800.

If you're looking for a bigger bike you'll struggle to find something that is a frugal on the petrol as a 125. If that's your main concern it may be best to stick to a 125.

Reply to this Topic
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

Commuter

If you have Speed Triple why would you want another Motorcycle ? For Commuting get either the Honda PCX Scooter or the new SH125 i . They will both give you 120 mpg and have plenty of carrying capacity and are Autos . Forget the nonsense of changing gear every few seconds and you can wear shoes to work and get a few bags of shopping on the way home .

I should know I have an X7 and an Aprilia Leonardo 250 cc Scooter .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices