Skip to content

Ask an Expert Honda NC700X Manual or DCT? New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Honda NC700X Manual or DCT?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Caek4

Dec 12

Caek4 says:

Honda NC700X Manual or DCT?

Hi,
I'm 29 and about to buy my very first bike in order to escape London on weekends. I've found the Honda NC700X to be the ideal bike budget wise and for what I'm really aiming for, but do not really know if I should buy the Manual version or the Automatic (DCT). I've seen reviews online and most people say to get the DCT one, but I'm not really sure what I'm getting for a £1000 more.. I was thinking that its better to get a manual one since it's my first bike in order to learn manual shifting. Any thoughts?
Many thanks, Ryan.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 December 2012 15:11)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

NC

Get a test ride on both.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

buy BIKE magazine

they have just voted it bike of the year, and it would seem all of those who are talking about it are on Manual ones. having never owned an automatic vehicle of any sort i find the idea a bit scary, try them both!

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

NC700

Try them both but being a conventional bike the DCT would only be an advantage if you do a LOT of riding in heavy traffic and suffer from cramp. It's not as smooth as a CVT and is sometimes not in the best gear, bit of a lash up really. 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Ride them both..

..but buy the manual.  DCT is a bad idea for a first bike. Manual gears give you more control and a manual clutch is your very best friend.

Reply to this Topic
Cageron2wheels

Jan 13

Not sure myself

I also need help in choosing between manual and dct nc700x. I passed my test 2 years ago and bought a Vespa gts300 which i love and obviously has an cvt auto. Ive ridden many manual bikes and i am very confident on them but I do like the ease of an auto. The only thing that I'm concerned about is 1st to 2nd gear clunk and a slight vibrating at low revs low gear. 

A test drive is ideal but any user comments would be helpful. 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

A review

on youtube of the DCT said it changed up very quickly always seeming to be primed for efficiency rather than availability of power. I prefer to ride a little less economically (i.e. more into the torque) so I have available engine braking and power if I need either. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's unsafe, but it seemed to change gears prioritising efficiency over being able to deal with the unexpected in my view. Also I never like the idea of a bike changing gear whilst I'm going round a roundabout, etc - you'd have to test that behaviour and see if it's smooth and safe enough in dodgy conditions.

As I say, this is what I got from a youtube review.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices