Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Should I Cover Her

Hi,

Putting my bike on sorn for the first time as i've got a scoot for winter.  I have cleaned, polished,lubed her chain and attached a battery charger.  She is in a concrete garage - should i put a duvet over her to stop things freezing when it gets real cold? :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 December 2012 11:13)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cover

A dust cover would be better than a duvet /waterproof.

If you have any chrome put a thin layer of oil on,

If you have any fuel in the tank/carb/injectors i would put some fuel stabiliser in the tank an run it through.

Reply to this Topic
shaunthesheep52

Dec 12

spray with

acf50 ( not brakes ) ..... put t . spoon of engine oil down plug holes ....) not yer sink ,,, the ones one yer bike where them spark things go ) ....... leave on trikle charge .....  putt on paddocck stands so tyres off hte floor ...coverwith sheet ./ doovet / ..... leave 1 bar of heat on one of the hallogen room heaters ( cheap to runn ).keeps the moisterness out of garage .... pray ( if relidgious     ) to whoever for some fuckin good weather ..very very ..sooon

Reply to this Topic
binky

Aug 02

binky says:

well that's

me fooked then haven't moved my bike in 18 months .... hands all fooked up another op in march :upset:

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Goood question.......

....there shaunthesheep, does putting the bike up on its paddock stands do any damage for long periods, as mine say on the label that you should not leave the bike up on the stands for long periods?

Just wondered if this is the manufacturer covering their arses or is it something else?:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Storage

Check your insurance still covers for theft when on sorn. A dust sheet is best and run it till the fan comes on, operating all switches & controls, to avoid electrical & mechanical problems developing at least once every 2 weeks. 40 years doing this with unused bikes, never had a problem,  lack of use is the enemy of any machine.

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

concrete garage

has yours got a tin roof, if so condensation is your biggest problem, drips water on everything. As others say acf and an optimate seem to be best, any tools left in your garage oil and cover up or they will go rusty. 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Concrete shed

I have a compton precast outbuilding which is not a full size garage but made of the same materials, concrete walls, and corrugated metal roof located on wooden rafters.

For years I have struggled to stop the damn thing from dripping, over my bikes and tools and other precious belongings, in the Autumn and Winter and have tried alsorts (not the liquorice type).

This year to save me from tears (thanks George and Andrew) I came up with a plan, which I am pleased to say has so far worked.

And it goes like this (cheers Chubby).

First I staples plastic sheeting to the rafters close to the roof, then using battens I formed a frame attached to the rafters, this allowed enough room for loft insulation material to be put in place next. It was tricky to do, in the end i made a mesh from cheap gaffa tape to hold it in place.

Next move is easier if you have the building empty. I didn;t cos I like to make things bloody awkward for myself, it takes up more of the day that way and the Mrs stays away when the anger rises.

Using 3mm thick 8foot by 4foot sheets of hardboard cut to size and shape you screw this to the framework you already have in place.

The building is warmer, and with a heater in there and switched on it warms up a hell of a lot quicker and stays warmer for longer. Everything is dry and the extra bonus is I cannot hear the neighbours shouting at me anymore to turn that sodding motorbike off even at midnight. 

Yes I have a home build exhaust extraction system.   

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices