Skip to content

General M.O.T. FALLICY. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > M.O.T. FALLICY.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

M.O.T. FALLICY.

The mind boggles,a few months ago i noticed a car parked outside a shopping area with a bold front tyre on one side only,surprisingly i notice the driver returning to this car where upon i told the said driver about the tyre,the reply was "it`s due for a m.o.t next week". Also my better half noticed a taxi with one side light and one brake light,she commented "that car won`t have a m.o.t.".

The moral of the story is,the rider/driver is responsible for the vehicles condition whatever age.

Also that cars tracking should have been checked at the last service! What service the driver may have replied.:wacko: 

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 December 2012 00:48)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

MOT

An MOT only means that the vehicle was roadworthy at the time it was tested.  Nothing more.  It is hardly worth the paper it is written on.

The day before, it might have had 4 bald tyres and no brakelights, and the day after, the headlights might not work.

The rider/driver, is, indeed responsible (and has to take the points/fine if caught if caught driving a defective vehicle).  There ought to be more roadside checks of all vehicles.:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Unfortunately

it has become the accepted norm for riders and drivers to wait until M.O.T. time to have the vehicle 'put right' due to the cost of servicing and of consumable parts on any vehicle.

Even the daily ritual of kicking the tyres and spitting on the windows and rubbing it in has fallen by the wayside as no-one has the time any more. I witness this whilst watching the school run to the school across the road for me.

Seeing the state of some of the vehicles is enough to have the drivers banned by the number of faults which are plainly visible yet for months on end they remain with other faults occuing due to the original faults thus the drivers repair cost escalate.

I have taken to looking at police vehicles which 'should' be checked before taken out and guess what, look close enough and you'll find faults. I've even stopped and informed the police driver they have a brake light out and the response is "I'll tell them when I go off duty", sorry but if I gave that answer when stopped would get me a ticket,fine and points.

See what you've done now Jaffa you got me started, better than spraying me with Easy Start or Start You Bastard.

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

MOT

I have known people to borrow legal tyres for an MOT due to the poor condition of their own and then hand them back once their car had passed.

Its also strange that new vehicles don't need an MOT for the first three years of their life. I am assuming then that a set of tyres and brake pads will automatically last three years regardless of mileage or abuse. :blink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Also garage charges

garages who do full services and  m.o.t.s used to charge full whack for both,now it`s illegal to charge twice for doing the same checks,they can only and should charge a reduced price. 

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

MOT is a joke....

my son's car passed its MOT recently, the bloke said that the brake pads were 98% worn, but because the brakes passed the 'pressure' test, he had to pass it !!.....:blink:

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

conversly though you get garage who lie to get work

was told my brake pads were 90% worn and needed replacing checked them myself after the test and they were fine. Went back the next year to same garage and they were only 50% worn this time. Magic.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
foxman

Aug 02

foxman says:

Headlight bulbs...

The problem with a lot of modern cars is that to do simple tasks such as replacing a duff bulb is no longer possible unless taken into a garage. I confirmed this by spending a day wandering round main dealers and showing keen interest in cars and then asked each salesman a simple question - "would you show me how to change the headlight bulb using only the tools provided with the car?" Shock horror, none of them could do it!!!! :ph43r: Some even responded "Why?" and looked at me oddly when I gave the scenario that I might be driving at night and both bulbs blow......

Even some bikes are getting more difficult to do.

So for lights I do give benefit of doubt and will also point out to owner if I get a chance, for many people do not think of these things when buying.

Tyres are also a problem for new cars - my older cars all have a full size spare so if a tyre is getting bald, a 10 minute wheel change and then off to get a new one. Then rotate the tyres around to try and get maximum life - front tyres tend to wear quicker as they are doing the turning. With a "space saver" no chance of doing this......

And we think we are advancing:huh:

Reply to this Topic
mobileenoph

Jun 07

mobileenoph says:

A couple of years ago

my niece bought an oldish BMW Three series and the front tyres were well below the wear limits and when I pointed it out to her and how it would affect her braking/stopping distance she said "dont worry the car has anti lock brakes" I could'nt believe what she had just told me but fair play to her she did change them the following day, so I think driver education is obviously below standard as well.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Some car tyres are made to run on the nearside or offside only,that means you cannot diagonally swop them.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
foxman

Aug 02

foxman says:

Rotational/Directional Tyres

Yes, these seems another "advance" on the car front - thus limiting safety and increasing sales of tyres - fine on a motorbike where only two wheels, but not so on a car.

Also makes carrying a spare pretty much impossible

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices