Skip to content

Ask an Expert CBR600F or Kawi Er-6f (Ninja 650) Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > CBR600F or Kawi Er-6f (Ninja 650)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

hayder87

Jan 13

hayder87 says:

CBR600F or Kawi Er-6f (Ninja 650)

Hello everyone,

First post here, I am 25 and have been riding daily on my Cbr r125 for the past three years (except in snow and ice). Its time that i get a new big bike now and I am a bit stuck in the middle between these two 2012/2013 bikes. I commute to work everyday and at some point would like to start going on rides to other cities from the midlands. Would you recommend a CBR600F or Kawasaki Er-6f? Or any other 600-650 cc Japanese sport looking bike?

Thanks 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 January 2013 00:55)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Try some out

My advice would be to try as many as possible before buying. They're all different and suit different people better than others. Opinions they say are like a-holes, everyone has one which is why it's no good someone who's six foot six weighting sixteen stone telling someone who's five foot five and as light as a feather that an adventure style bike is the way to go.

Find one you feel comfortable on and suits your riding style. There's not a lot of real quality difference between the big Jap makes these days as they're all pretty damn good bikes.

Personally I can't fault my ER6n, it's sporty enough to get up to license losing speeds quicker than most cars, commutes well with good mpg and has been fine for longer tours. The ER6f will be pretty much the same but with better weather protection. That's not to say it will suit you best so have a sit on all your options and try and get test rides before your commit.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Difficult to say...

You appear to be buying either new or one year old or so so dealers, new cost, trade in value and location of dealer are all important to you. Investigate the dealers now before you own a bike that the nearest dealer is 100s of miles away... Also get some very specific quotes for insurance. Similar looking bikes can be several hundred pounds different...
If you want a mid size sporty looking bike the Kawasaki ER6F, Suzuki SV650S, Suzuki GSX650, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha Diversion S  should all be on your short list. You might want to add Yamaha Fazer FZ8/ FZ6(second hand only) to your list too (if you can afford one).
I will not say any of the above bikes are bad (there not) but you are likely to find that you prefer some wrt others. As always you will find that some people will not hear anything negative against the bike they own...
Of these the SV650S & the CBR600F have a more sporty riding position - more weight on your wrists, less pleasant around towns and less visibility over traffic (since you are less tall). Since you already have a CBR125 this might be a preference...
If you are fairly small you might find the SV650S a bit of a stretch to the handlebars. It and the CBR600F are the more extreme in riding position. The others are quite a bit more upright - the ER6 is probably the most so.
Next you want to think about if you want a four or a twin. Typically the fours tend to have less grunt so when you are being lazy they don't have a lot of go (particularly the CBR600F which has next to nothing close to tickover). However when you rev them they have more power and have a very pleasant exhaust note (they scream with pleasure). I am very fond of the CBR600F myself but even this bike is fairly full on - the ER6F, SV650 and even to a lesser extent the GSX650 will have quite a bit more low end. Although I like fours I am rather fond of the SV650S - it has a lovely V twin burble which is unique in this company and reminds me of Ducatis etc...
Many of these bikes are built down to a price - nothing wrong with that but it is obvious if you look at 4 year old examples - they tend to use steel tubing, the chains and chain adjusters are crude etc. Of these the CBR600F is nicer built. The others are okay (probably slightly better than your current bike).
I've not said much about the ER6 so far so in the interests of balance - The ER6F is a good little bike. I ran one for 36000 miles and I was very happy with it. It has a very comfortable upright riding position and a very slim seat so is very easy to touch the ground etc. Quirks I am aware of are weak brakes (compared to some), slightly strange riding position (you get used to it), weak exhausts (they rust, brake early and you have to replace them), weak suspension (the basic unit has a weak spring so has to be turned up to the max - might be an issue if you want to carry a pillion). I am sure other bikes will have other quirks but I know of these... The twin engine is good one. It has plenty of pull at low revs but takes off when revved (when it sounds like a rabbid chinchilla (according to ride) )
Similarly I don't know much about the GSX650 but I used to really rate the bandit on which it is based ( a good easy to ride bike with a turn of fun). Should also be worth a look particularly as they are prettier...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices