Skip to content

General Belly Pans?... General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Belly Pans?...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

Belly Pans?...

Just bought my first "big bike" (CBF500, very excited :biggrin: ) and it's 'naked' as the day it was born. I'll be using it for an all-year, 50 mile round trip commute and want to look after it best as possible. I've ordered a fenda-extenda and hugger, but the belly pan is £135+ and I just want to be sure it's worth it. So, that's my question - what protection do they really offer and is it worth the expense?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 January 2013 10:30)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Simple answer

They are more cosmetic than offering protection, and in a few cases they can redirect air flow away from the engine causing engine overheating which is not good.

If the bike is purely being used rather than a show item I would say leave the belly pan off.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

You've already bought the useful bits.

Mine has a belly pan. I got it free when I bought the bike so had it fitted but I think it's only there to catch rubbish and make it hard to keep the bike clean underneath. I wouldn't bother unless you like the way it looks. Why not wait for a second hand one on ebay?

The only extras I bought were the fender extender, the hugger and an R&G shock sock and a scottoiler. I use the bike most days to get to work. I use lots of ACF 50 and try to clean the bike every weekend.

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

Pointless

The hugger is fine and serves a purpose, but don't spoil the nice clean looks of your bike with an ugly lump of plastic. Use the £135 for something else :smile

Reply to this Topic
DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

Belly Pan

Well that decides it, money will be saved for something more useful, thanks guys! Bike arrives tomorrow. Bit excited.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Screen

I've got an ER6n and the best bit of kit I've bought is a screen. For long blasts up the motorway in p*ssing rain and ball-aching frost it's a must. I've got a Puig sports one that takes 5 mins to remove when the weather warms up in spring. Cost £80 and doesn't detract from the 'naked' look.

Belly-pans are more cosmetic than anything truly useful but fender extender and rear hugger do their job as well as 'arguably' enhance the look so you've got the right kit first.

Reply to this Topic
DOLOMITE73

May 12

DOLOMITE73 says:

Belly Pan

yup, got a puig screen on order too so all set! looking forward to my first overtake of a lorry without having to wait for a downhill or tailwind!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices