Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tank bags and top boxes Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Tank bags and top boxes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Tank bags and top boxes

Thinking of getting some luggage for my new 125 was toying with the idea of a tank bag and a top box. My travels on the bike will be the odd trip to collage 30mile round trip and trips into town and back from home 3 miles. The luggage needs to be able to hold my helmet and as much of my gear as possible ie jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. Any advice would be nice 

Regards Ash 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 January 2013 20:07)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Well

that's a lot of gear.

If you want to store all that you'll need throwover panniers as well. Plus aside from a top box, your kit will be insecure.

A top box is quite steep most of the time, assuming you don't have a mounting plate. You'll need a plate, an adaptor and a box. Some boxes come with adaptors. Also consider how big it'll be. Some are almost wider than the bike (might even be wider given a 125s size).

My personal suggestion is to always carry your helmet with you - if someone wants your bike and they take it, they'll often smash open the top box and there you go -everything they need to look legit whilst riding past cop cars on their hotwired bike.

The jacket is a pain to stash as it's easy to squish the armour. Plus it's easier to get off it with all your stuff in your pockets.

A tank bag is fine if it's small as bigger ones get in the way of arms and instruments. The magnetic ones should be used with care as they'll pick up any small bits of metal (they're everywhere!) and scratch your tank to hell so it's best to put some cloth or tape between magnets and tank. I got one for £30 off amazon and it was just fine.

Throw over panniers are great if your exhaust is out of the way. Oxford ones are apparently good but after experiencing an expensive oxford tank bag where just about everything that could break broke I'm unsure about the brand. Remember that anything you put in here is insecure. Boots are smelly and therefore safe.
Downside of throwovers is that they make the bike wider so you can't get through the gaps you once could.

Ideal combo in my view would be a top box (smallish) and throwover panniers. You could put your hat in the top box, boots in one pannier and the trousers in the other. I'd still be wary about leaving expensive motorcycling kit insecure and one day some kid will think it's a great prank to steal your boot.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Luggage

Tanks bags are not secure when the bike is left so does not offer you the facility to leave stuff on the bike.  A top box however will - although you won't get all your riding kit in it.  Invest in a top box and find somewhere secure at college to leave your riding kit. 

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

That's a big ask

I'd still go for a back pack with helmet storage, you might struggle to add your boots to the pack, but ultimately it will be more versatile, maybe something like this ?    cheaper too.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices