You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Relocating to Italy

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Relocating to Italy

:winkie:I got this one through my mailbox today and wondered if anyone can help?

"I am looking for some advice, I currently live in Yorkshire, Hull. I own an Aprilia RSV mille 2001, which is still going great across the quality Yorkshire roads!

However I am looking at relocating to Rome with work shortly. Basically, as crazy as it sounds I really want to get on 2 wheels in Rome. I understand that is quite hard to buy and register a bike while being only a temporary resident as I will only be there for 1 year.

So I am considering buying a cheapish mid range, small, but with some guts, town bike: Fazer 600, Hornet 600, Maybe SV650 @ a budget of £1000-£1500.
I am well prepared to ride this bike to Italy, Rome with UK road tax, insurance and MOT. I have read in some places on the interent that 6 months is the maximum you can keep a vehicle registered to another country. To be fair I will wait till slightly warmer weather so may only really need for 9 months but would this be an issue?

I will use the bike for commuting during the week, so don't want it to be overheating in traffic (as with RSV) and exploring Italy during the weekend. This will be a kept outside in Rome and be used to battle with the the Italian traffic, so may need something quite tough!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, but if you guys do have any advice on:
1. Legalities of riding and owning a UK bike in Italy?
2. Riding to Italy, Rome - good routes stop offs?
3. Tips on long distance riding as this would be longest ride for me so far?
4. Tips on which bike to buy as is it needs to tick quite a few boxes

If all gets sorted will sort you guys out with a with a pic on location."

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 January 2013 10:27)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Relocating to Italy

I think the major issue is going to be getting insurance cover as a non-resident in Italy, as most Uk policies have a 90 day limit on overseas??

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Italia

Dabsy, 

Have a quick look at the links below. As you say this is going to be quite difficult unless Iain is going to become an Italian resident or is in the forces, however there is a post on the first link stating;

'If your insurance certificate has been issued by an EU insurance company (e.g. an Insurance Co. in UK) then it automatically must give 3rd. party cover throughout the EU for the entire period of its validity. A time limit can only be placed on the 'optionals' i.e. fire, theft and so on.'

I don't know how accurate this is though maybe needs a bit more investigating.  :wacko:

Just found this too;

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Biking in Italy

The company I work for has an office in Italy (as well as many other European counties) that includes ex-pat Japanese staff.  None of them have had any issues when it comes to buying or registering cars as temporary residents and I see no reason why it would be different for bikes.   

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Italy

2. Riding to Italy, Rome - good routes stop offs? Try viaMichelin website for route planning.

3. Tips on long distance riding as this would be longest ride for me so far? Doing 3-400miles a day on European motorways is a doddle. Top speed is irrelevant when it comes to doing distance, what you are after is a good average speed. Often your average speed will be higher if you sit at a relaxed 75-80mph, less fuel stops and less physical tiredness. Stop every hundred miles for a coffee and a stretch and a refuel. If that doesn't work try stopping every 50 miles, there are no rules it is up to you. The most important thing is to enjoy it, but you will find NW Europe to be very flat and very boring, expect to do somewhere close to 400 miles before you see something that looks like a hill. I normally reckon on the first day being purely about covering distance.

Good luck.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Fazerpod

Mar 06

Fazerpod says:

Biking abroad

I took my Fazer to Finland and simply registered it on Finnish plates.  OK I was there for a bit longer (18 mths) but it was easy - then I insured it through a Finnish insurance and then when I brought it back to the UK, just put the UK plates back on and informed the DVLA who sent me a new log book.

You're going to have to make sure it has a new MOT if you keep it UK registered or else be prepared to ride it back here for it's test.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices