Skip to content

Ask an Expert Is motorcycle body armor really necessary? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Is motorcycle body armor really necessary?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

AlvinBret

Dec 12

AlvinBret says:

Is motorcycle body armor really necessary?

Hello Members,

I want to know, is motorcycle body armor really necessary while driving the bike?

Thanks and Regards,
Alvin Bret

premiumfinishcare.com

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 06:31)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi AlvinBret

No, I seem to be able to ride bikes OK without armour and this has been the case for the last forty plus years, and god forbid at one time I was even able to ride them without a helmet.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Armor

As someone who started riding in the late 70's when such things didn't exist I would say necessary - no; but advisable - yes!  Armor should lessen the extent of injuries in the event of an accident but if you do use it, don't make the mistake of thinking you are invincible because you have some protection.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Armour

A lot depends on the 'type' of riding i think. 

A 30mph bimble to the shops on a sunny day does not require armour in my opinion. Nobody expects to see cyclists wearing leather and armour but around town they are often traveling at the same speeds.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

armour

If it wasn't without my armour in my hein gerricke racetec jacket, I'd be in hospital with broken shoulder/collar bone (minimum)  after my slip on ice on new years day..saved my shoulder, and had hip protectors in trousers, and got away with a just a bruise ..

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Depends

Would you drive a car without any of that metal protection and no seat belt?

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

But,

like crash helmets, works better it it fits properly.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Good quality clothing is a minimum for me...

Its up to you and your understanding of risk etc.

As someone who rode in the 80s and had a reasonable off then I would say that strong boots, jacket, trousers are essential - I wore down a significant portion of my boots, jeans and jacket (and wasn't going incredibly fast either). When I see people riding scooters etc with T shirts it makes my skin creep...
That said there have been times last year when i have ridden in shoes and jeans (but with motorcycle jacket over the top) - when I have been going to a civilian meeting nearby and didn't want to much stuff to carry... but I wouldn't ride regularly without proper designed gear with armour fitted though. Armour is located in the difficult to replace bits like joints and will distribute a sharp impact significantly and crucially doesn't make the gear any more uncomfortable. If I was riding off road or perhaps on a track day I would also consider the comfort/safety/cost benefit analysis of chest protection too -  I had a  non bike accident 4 years ago that broke 10 ribs (front and back) from an impact to my chest and was very lucky that it was not an inch lower...

Andy.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

is Armour Necessary?

For riding NO, for Crashing? absolutley vital:shock:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale