Skip to content

Discuss This If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

Despite studies showing time and time again that helmets save lives, there is still a strong lobby, especially in the USA, who argue that the decision to wear one should be left to the rider and not imposed by law. Indeed, some states have repealed their mandatory helmet laws as recently as this year, with Michigan making helmets optional in April, to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 11:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Helmets

Even if it wasn't mandatory I would choose to wear a helmet most of the time. The only time I wouldn't wear one is when I've been working on the bike and am checking it on a quite private road and then only to look/ listen for any untoward sounds etc (and the speed would be less than about 15mph).

I've ridden in countries with no mandatory helmet law but have chosen to wear one in those countries.

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

On a business trip and visit of the Indianapolis MotoGP last year I was stunned to see how many bikers didnt wear helmets in Indiana.  I'm all for pro-choice and our nanny state would see Hell freeze over before allowing that kind of freedom in the UK.  However given the choice I would wear a helmet.  Always.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I don't wear one on a pushbike

Which I can propel at the same legal speed for popping to the shops.

While the stats do say that lots more Yanks get deaded and vegged when they repeal helmet laws, you do have to bear in mind that their idea of motorcycle training is "the thing on the right makes your hawg go louder".

Reply to this Topic
trig78

Aug 11

trig78 says:

I always wear one

I tried recently to ride without it and it me feel very uneasy. I can almost see my face skidding on the pavement. Same goes for gloves and back protector. That's a minimum even for short rides. Seen too many accidents I guess.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Yes

Though I'd use one of those non-approved but stylish open lids for light chopper-cruising duties in the heat of summer when I'd never get above 40mph. They still offer protection in the event of an incident it's just they don't come up to the EU standards. Anything more than that I'd feel more comfortable with an approved open-face lid or full-face helmet.

Reply to this Topic
rattypete

Jan 12

rattypete says:

Yup, I would wear one. I know I definately would cos I did pre 73 and so did my mates at the time

Reply to this Topic
cbrgaz

Apr 11

cbrgaz says:

Absolutely

Surely the idea of your face grinding concrete even at 30 mph speaks for itself. As a child I came off my pushbike many time and always under 20 mph and I have some serious scars even from that. Then add in the trauma to your skull and brain and there really is no sense not wearing them (and I like my head being warn and snug).

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Yep!

Our lids are the only bit of safety gear required by law, however most of us chose to wear proper boots, leathers, gloves, back protecters etc... and most of us wouldn't  just go for the cheapest lid we can find to comply with the law either - we'd usually go for the best we can afford!

So I guess that implies that most of us would still wear all this gear, regardless of what the law says.

I think this puts us apart from a lot of car drivers, who will routinely opt for the cheapest brake pads, tyres etc for their cars, probably the same group of people who reguarly accuse us lot of being irresponsible and dangerous road users...

Good question MCN - because it opens up a wider discussion - how many of us would fit cheap inferior aftermarket brake pads to our bikes to save a couple of quid? not many i'd guess... It's the same logik.

Cheers - and happy new year to you all!

Baz

Reply to this Topic
KillThePirate

Jan 13

Yes

I would but mostly to get the wind out my eyes so i can see where i'm going but if i was only get petrol then i probs wouldn't tbh. Also i don't like that you have to buy a helmet as well as the bike i think you should get one free with it because you don't have to buy seat belts for a car and you have to wear them.

Reply to this Topic
gimpshavehomes

Jan 04

To have the choice

To have the choice offered to us would be an awesome thing. I'd still wear one 99% of the time. The other 1% I'd be bringing the bike out of the garage 100 yards from the house or as another commented moving it around after maintenance/cleaning or listening for noises. I've lived in countries without helmet laws and spent months riding without a lid - you get a better sense of what is going on around you without a lid on but obviously even the smallest off can still lead to the most massive trauma. Its not about 'to wear or not to wear' its about the freedom of choice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices