Skip to content

Discuss This If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

Despite studies showing time and time again that helmets save lives, there is still a strong lobby, especially in the USA, who argue that the decision to wear one should be left to the rider and not imposed by law. Indeed, some states have repealed their mandatory helmet laws as recently as this year, with Michigan making helmets optional in April, to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 11:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

YES

I am old enough to remember when it became law to wear a helmet. Back then I only wore a helmet on longer runs and thought when the law was brought in it was against personal choice and freedom, Looking back wht a stupid git I was. The crash helmet law is the best piece of legislation that has happened to motorcycling and I owe my life to it. You only have to look at the state of some of my old helmets after some of the  accidents I have had  

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

Absolutely

I've ridden in places where they aren't compulsory and always worn one. Anyone who has been hit in the face by a fly (heaven forbid a stone) at 70 mph will testify that not wearing one is a daft idea, although not wearing one is great if you have big lips and like doing horse impressions.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

There are some Laws that actually make sense and actually save people from their own Stupidity and this is one of them. Anyone think Smoking is good for you?

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

Yes...

of course, how can you ride at 150mph without a visor, eyes get too watery... allegedly

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

yes

I value what is inside my skull. Having written off my bike last year in very none threatening circumstances I value my lid 100%.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

YES YES and YES

You dont deserve to own a bike if you wont wear a helmet ! Oh and the stupid crusty twats who go to biker funerals not wear their lids should all be arrested .Oh ! one more thing MAKE wearing gloves compulsory you cant pick yer nose , wipe yer arse , use yer phone or please yer lover without hands !

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

helmets

one morning several years ago going to work doing about 40 slowing down for a junction my bike suddenly for no reason the back end swung one way then the other down i went banging head on road.thought i had a punture but no it wasnt that must have been something on the road surface.no way would i ever get on a bike without a helmet.i wouldnt have walked away from this fall without a helmet on.ibought a push bike at christmas  before i left the shop i bought a cycle helmet.

Reply to this Topic
momomomo

Apr 12

momomomo says:

funny that...

I have actually been riding long enough to remember when the crash helmet became obligatory and had a bike taken by the police because I refused to wear mine. I don't think I would ride without it nowadays but I would like to have the choice. You can imagine the motorcycling community's comments at the time... Oh! Actually you can... They are very similar to the stupid idiotic comments some are making about compulsory ABS! Yep! They are all stupid in Europe and it is all a conspiracy...

Reply to this Topic
jim3563

Nov 12

jim3563 says:

helmets

helmets yes compulsion NO free choice for a free people x

Reply to this Topic
twiggmj

Nov 03

twiggmj says:

helmets

I think fullface helmets should be compulsory. I dont know how people ride with open face helmet let alone no helmet I have ridden a bike with an open face helmet once and I found it impossible to do more than 30 mph after that I couldn't see a thing my eyes were watering that much. I have seen a few bike crashes and most went down on there face if they had been wearing an open face lid they wouldn't have a face.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle