Skip to content

Discuss This If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

Despite studies showing time and time again that helmets save lives, there is still a strong lobby, especially in the USA, who argue that the decision to wear one should be left to the rider and not imposed by law. Indeed, some states have repealed their mandatory helmet laws as recently as this year, with Michigan making helmets optional in April, to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 11:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

Yeah for 2 reasons. 1. It reduces the sound from the bike so you don't go deaf. 2. I've come off a handful of times since I've started riding and every time but one I've hit my head on the ground first hard enough to crack the helmet.

Reply to this Topic
rockabrilia

Jul 10

rockabrilia says:

Land of Freedom

United States of America. Land of freedom. Let them have their own will whether they want to own hundreds of guns or not to wear helmets when riding their crappy Harleys.

Reply to this Topic
lany

Aug 02

lany says:

When I first started riding (50 years ago) helmet wearing was not mandatory, but I tended to wear one as I was commuting in all weathers. Sometimes I left it off for popping down the pub or when the weather was hot.

Fortunately when a car hit me I was wearing it. The car pulled out from a side turning and did not see me

I was knocked from the bike & slid along the road and my helmet wore through to the harness, the palms of my leather gloves wore through as well, leaving even now some faint scars on my palms. I was taken to the local hospital for X-rays & to the surprise of the medics I was OK to be released a few hours later.

Reply to this Topic
CADS5

Jul 03

CADS5 says:

riding without a crash helmet

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=facial+injuries+from+riding+a+motorbike+without+a+crash+helmet&start=169&hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=943&tbm=isch&tbnid=3wtwmCKcuz43MM:&imgrefurl=http://rapchickduniya.blogspot.com/2010/12/please-wear-helmet-while-riding-bike.html&docid=8dowJiSwHtP6nM&imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EwNO_bS57KI/TPqmc8o3IfI/AAAAAAAAAOE/j3zNmRIeQs8/s1600/dont%252Bopen.jpg&w=720&h=540&ei=y8nqUN7zMqTs0gXt4IDQAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1620&vpy=237&dur=105&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=168&ty=122&sig=113881561637395546630&page=4&tbnh=134&tbnw=175&ndsp=59&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:200,i:58

Reply to this Topic
Ben4658

Jan 13

Ben4658 says:

Helmts

Yeah same here, Though i have worked on my bike apart from do an exhaust change.. Id still wear my helemt. Not just because in the UK its law. But you only got one brain and head

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

I have

just the one head and therefore I most certainly would

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

YES

I would always wear a helmet. how much is your head worth.

Just bought a new schuberth in the sales £370 a saving of £100.

If the thick yanks dont want to wear a helmet then who are we to argue.

They are a bunch of thick twats, They realy believe the shit they shovel well nobody else is thick or stupid enough to believe it .

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ JustBe

What bike are you riding?  None of my bikes have annoyingly loud exhausts (all stock) except for the Yamaha TW200.

And for noise reduction I use the cylindrical foam earplugs (inexpensive but effective), as I find wearing a lid to be very noisy due to wind.  Only quiet helmet I recall was an a Vetter full-face I had in the mid-late 1980's, which lacked the ventilation holes/channels and ear-speaker cut-outs that all modern lids seem to have.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Would those be the same sort of Americans who, despite the ongoing slaughter of innocent children by nutters with guns, still lobby for no restriction on their right to bear arms? Yeah, their opinion is really relevant then. I'd wear a lid, simply because I want to give myself a sporting chance of surviving if and when it all goes boobies aloft. Does that make me a wuss? Better to be a live wuss than a dead rebel. 

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Helmets on quad "bikes"

Strange the one is entitled to go lid-less on these quad "bikes".   Every bit as liable to go flying in a collision, or tip over, you'd be no better off than flying off a bike.   Couple from around here took a header down the road without helmets a few months back - he's pretty much OK, his misses... don't know if she even made it out of hospital, actually.  :upset:

As for riding on a bike at under 30mph without a helmet and that being ok - may I suggest dumping a bicycle at just 20mph and see how enjoyable is without a helmet.   Perfectly legal to do so, too.

None of the above concerns the very interesting arguments about personal liberty raised earlier, which would also apply to seat belts I imagine.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices