Skip to content

Discuss This If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

If helmets weren’t compulsory would you still wear one?

Despite studies showing time and time again that helmets save lives, there is still a strong lobby, especially in the USA, who argue that the decision to wear one should be left to the rider and not imposed by law. Indeed, some states have repealed their mandatory helmet laws as recently as this year, with Michigan making helmets optional in April, to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 11:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Yes

I would wear a helmet for the simple reason that I have been "off" a couple of times in a lifetime of biking and even though I was sure my helmet didn't hit the road, each time it was scuffed or dented. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY HEAD. So, ignoring all other matters like legality and comfort, I would elect to wear a helmet.

Reply to this Topic
walter54

Dec 12

walter54 says:

Sometimes

If I was just going to town through 30mph limits I'd probably not wear a helmet and adjust my riding to suit, if I was going through country lanes then I'd always wear a helmet because my riding would be very different to the plod up town. I was once hit on the head by a tree branch ( I was stationary, waiting for 2 lorries to pass each other on a country road )  which was ripped down by a lorry and of course it couldn't just fall on the road so it hit me instead and the helmet saved my head. I think if your riding without a helmet ( that was the way when I was younger ) then you'd ride much more defencively and be more aware of what's around you.

Reply to this Topic
jmccomas

Apr 12

jmccomas says:

without exception

I'd always wear a helmet. Going out in normal jeans unsettling enough. choice would be lovely, but until the majority get away from the 'cut off nose to spite face' attitude of it's my right to risk my life it's moot. we can't forget that any accident, regardless of injuries, has a detrimental effect on other road users, and being sans helmet increases that risk.

lovely to have that choice - not likley to ever be relevant unfortunatley.

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

yes

I'm pretty certain I would always wear a helmet, whether compulsory or not.

That doesn't mean I think they should be compulsory though - admered1 eloquently makes the case against laws protecting people from their own bad decisions.

The question I'd like to ask about helmets is, why are they the same price here as in Europe, when they're supposedly zero-rated for VAT here while other European countries charge VAT on them?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices