Skip to content

Discuss This Are off-road skills really transferable to road riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Are off-road skills really transferable to road riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Are off-road skills really transferable to road riding?

More and more of you are taking to the mud, with enduro and motorcross training days full to capacity across the country and new schools launching all the time. Many riders swear by the skills they learn offroading, and indeed many racers use it as a way to keep sharp over the long winter. But does it benefit road riding? Does getting...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 11:59)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

yes and no

If you ride a trail bike on the road the skills are transferable when  sliding the bike in the wet. or going over hump back bridges. The more you move to a sports bike the less you need motox skills It does help a little on a sports bike but the riding style is different is completly different

Reply to this Topic
vmaxbloke

Mar 04

vmaxbloke says:

off road skills

Off road skills are hugely valuable when riding on the tarmac. Apart from understanding the input to the bikes operation from body weight, position, pressure on the foot pegs, counter steering, steering with your arse(!) etc........when that unexpected front or rear end slide occurs from gravel, mud, horse shit, diesel etc on the road.....your instincts kick in, and a quick dab or a change of body position can save you from an expensive crash. I rode a vmax for 4 years and can honestly say that my off road skills (such as they are!) kept me on the bloody thing more than once! If you get the chance to do it, do it. Riding on the dirt is liberating and bloody good fun.

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

Yes

I learnt machine and clutch control on both a bike and in a car before I was old enough to ride/drive legally and it has always stood me in good stead, just wish i could do the same for my lad but a suitable place is hard to find now.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Yes....

All types of riding will help with road riding and the more experiences you have the more skill you will develop. In my opinion Long gaps in riding such as "Laying the bike up for winter" only makes you rusty and less competent when you get back on. Riding different types of bike also helps hone your skills.

Reply to this Topic
MandyRamola

Sep 12

MandyRamola says:

All skills are transferable if they're relevant

Riding any kind of two wheeled vehicle, motored or not, will increase general skills and competency on other similar vehicles, kind of goes without saying for me. Some bits of MX won't be needed on a road bike much but machine control and using the controls is all in the same ballpark.

Reply to this Topic
F0ulOli

Jun 12

F0ulOli says:

its the stuff you do without thinking!

I have done a few off road events, and what I can transfer is the sixth sense of knowing what not to do when things don't feel right on the road.

If you lose the back on a road bike, with off road skills, its a snap to fix it.  If you lose the front, you don't panic and that is usually enough to get it back.  Obviously, its not a miracle cure that will stop you crashing, but it makes you aware of the little moments that happen before the bike is so out of shape, you can't fix it.

Every little helps! ;)

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Kenny Roberts

and many many other world champions came through the ranks of dirt bikes and motorcross.Even Mr Rossi was still doing it in the off season until 2010 (a crash made yamaha stop him i believe). what dirt bike riding does(in the main) is allow you to experience crashing and what signs a bike will give you before its about to let go! very useful in the days before traction control and all the other computerised rubbish that is now trying to do that for you!

Reply to this Topic
Mikeyy

Oct 10

Mikeyy says:

Yes but...

...I find that only parts of off road riding transfer and even those skills can only take you so far. For example I've only done MX riding as a bit of fun not that fast but I don't enjoy the racing side of it much so for me it was just a curiosity thing and yes I enjoy it and its a very good form of exercise. The main aspect was braking I'm confident enough at it anyway but it was good to improve understand of braking on gravel, mud, grass. Riding ruts, jumping triples etc... sounds cool but has no connection to riding round a track apart from Cadwell Park :) As far as I know most racers like Rossi use MX as a form of exercises as riding a motorbike is much easier than a MX physically and the speeds are much slower so majority of the time MX can be safer when you come off as the speed only reach about 70+mph on and that's if your your pushing it.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

skills

I would agree with another that any skils on a motorcycle can be of benifit.

I ask the question though.  What does one consider will give one the greatest skills for on the road riding? Track days or Moto crossing.. 

Understanding that one may be riding a far  different bike on the road.

What do you think.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Sliding

For me the biggest benefit is from riding in sand or loose dirt and getting used to the feel of the bike squirming around.  Now hitting a spot of sand, gravel, or other rubbish on the pavement when on the road bikes or scooter is much less disturbing - just let the bike do its thing, and it will stay up 99%+ of the time.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle