Ask an Expert suzuki bandit gsf250 Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > suzuki bandit gsf250

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gingerbreadman

Dec 10

suzuki bandit gsf250

hi, i have been restoring/refreshing a suzuki bandit 250...4cyl...its a 1991 model. had the carbs off and professionally ultra sonic cleaned, valve clearances done, new plugs,oil...one new coil....it starts, it runs,  the fuel tap was faulty and it would run out of petrol at full chat after about 3 miles. Replaced that, new vacuum pipe and new fuel pipe and cartridge fuel filter...got priming flow and when running, accelerates like the wind, hits 16500rpm but in top gear it will not sustain max speed..somewhere in the 95/100mph bracket. it slows down like its running out of breath, steam or petrol the worst thought is that it might be heating for a seizure although the cooling fan does not cut in. Change down and it will take off like a rocket again. Admitedly I am quite a weight for the bike (18stone plus a bit) what am i overlooking...don't say diet thats already underway...pete clemo

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 17:23)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bandit 250

Top gear on your bike, as on many others, will not be the fastest.  A lot of bikes are slightly overgeared in top to allow for more relaxed cruising and better mpg.  This is particularly noticeable on smaller engines as you will often have to change down a gear when faced with a strong headwind or steep hill.  If it is flying in 5th then don't worry that it won't hold the same top speed in 6th.       

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

16500rpm

I agree with Marcus,i don`t think you have a problem. 

Reply to this Topic
gingerbreadman

Dec 10

thank you

thank you marcus and Jaffa. Its flying through the gears now but still wont hold a good top end. It does seem mechanicl/electrical/fuel still though even though i have been right through it. My final concern is that the oil pump may not be delivering enough oil. I can see the level physically drop when i rev the bike so hopefully I am wrong on that count but I would hate to sieze the engine..also cant get it hot enough to bring in the cooling fan..maybe good thing not sure.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Take your time take your time!

Oil level is with engine stopped,cooling fan should kick in with engine on tickover waiting  for road works traffic lights to change.(that`s ages)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices