Skip to content

Ask an Expert Just Passed - which bike to buy? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Just Passed - which bike to buy?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

Just Passed - which bike to buy?

Hi
I just passed my Mod 2 test today on a manual 125cc Yamaha SR. - So I'm on a restricted to 33bhp licence for 2 years.
I quite like the style of off-road motorcycles (trail bikes) I think the suspension forks and high-up front mudguards look neat.  The style of bike looks like it would be easy steering and good grippy tyres , but I've been told I'd need to think about my height when it comes to trail bikes.  I'm only 5feetand1.4 inches tall - can Anyone recommend a bike for me based on that info. i.e. a suitable trail bike with a low seating position (if such a thing exists)
Many Thanks

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 January 2013 21:39)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Trail

bikes,i`ve had a few big ones and loved them but struggled with short legs as well (29" inside),so your going for the impossible.This leaves custom style bikes.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike choice

Visit some dealers showroms and sit on a few.  See what works for you size-wise.  I think trials / off-road bikes will just be too tall for you.  

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

thanks

Aaw that's a shame.  Thanks for the advice though

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

Is there a Fuel injected SR?

Maybe I'll go for a Yamaha SR Then. 

The only thing I didn't really like about the SR is needing the choke when it was cold and being tempremental to start up/taking a long time to warm back up!

Is there a version of the SR that doesn't need choke i.e. fuel injected?

I rode a Yamaha YBR once which was ok - everything on it felt maybe a little bit more responsive than the SR.  But I think SR was more comfortable when changing gears and with the lower seating position.  Gear lever on YBR was harsh, my foot got bruised through my boot and sock just by changing gear :-o

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

BMW G650?

The BMW G650GS is fairly small for a trail bike and not a bad ride. BMW also do a low suspension version and I think a lower seat (as well you can use both if needed). Fairly modest price too (for a BMW). There is also a Kawaski 250 trial bike which is tiny - about the same size as a 125 (Think its the KLX250) and Honda have announced a 250 trial bike based on their CBR250.
If you are casting your net wider most custom bikes have low seats (e.g. Honda VT600, VT750 shadow, Yamaha XV...).
Other bikes like the Honda Hornet are very small and compact whilst bikes like the CB600 used to have adjustable seats. The ER6 whilst it doesn't have an adjustable seat has a very slim seat so its easier to touch the ground. My Kawasaki 250 Ninja (wrong style I know) is already restricted to 33BHP and was smaller even than the ER6.

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

thanks

Coool thanks Andy - Lots of ideas there, I'll see if I can find some of those models to try out.

Reply to this Topic
traylerm8

Jan 13

traylerm8 says:

more info

Well I've been looking into it a bit more.  Obviously the more important thing is the measurement of your leg rather than your height.  My inside leg measurement is 28inches.

But the Yamaha SR125cc 2003 model was an ideal seat height for me, both feet easily flat on the ground, and I could comfortably stand up and stretch out at like traffic lights for example and that seat height is 29.13 inches.

I was surprised to see the Yamaha 2013TT-R125LE with such a low seat height of 31.7inches that's definitely the smallest I've seen of all trail bikes but won't be going for such a new model.  + Although I've not sat on it I have a feeling that even 31.7 inches will be an uncomfortable height for me - just marginally too high.

Given my height and lack of riding experience - still being a newbie I'm not too fussed about going for a trail bike anymore.

....but looking for a bike about 2-4 years old, 125cc and seat height 29-31inches and preferably fuel injected startup (no choke) - can anybody recommend a suitable model based on those specs.

Many Thanks

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices