Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

herbertmt

Jan 13

herbertmt says:

Second opinion

Hey guys,

I have a problem with a bike that I've owned for 5 weeks, I've done 400 miles on it.

Bought from a dealer, they found the following problems:

Front left disc collapsed, rear pads worn in the center of the pads (12 circle like dips or holes in the pad) and the brake pistons seized.

The dealer offers a 3 month warranty.

The dealer is blaming salt corrosion.. Do you think that the problems I've just mentioned could be caused by salt in that time frame?

Bike: 04 hayabusa.

A yes or no would be great!

Thanks very much for any help,

Anthony

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 January 2013 18:26)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Dealer

Hasn't a leg to stand on. Even without a warranty goods should be of merchatable quality. Selling a motorcycle (or car) with faulty brakes is dangerous. I'd contact Citizens advice first thing Monday for advice, then get straight back onto the dealer.

I bought a car years back that had numerous faults, I'd paid for an extended warranty, they said it wasn't covered. I told them they'd sold the car from the forecourt with known faults, so not fit for purpose. I had all the repairs done free of charge. Don't let them fob you off.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I think

your best bet is to offer the dealer a chance to put things right. Make sure you log everything.

If he won't tell him you will contact CA or another body then see what happens.  Law is on your side

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

NO

First off give dealer a chance to sort problem as he has issued a warranty of 6 months, however normally when it comes to these sort of parts there is no warranty.

Go to Trading Standards and ask them to arrange an independant engineers report, will cost you but if the dealer stands his ground it will give you support if you or Trading Standards take him to court.

Hope you get the result you are after.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

front disc clapsed

What do you mean by that? 

Reply to this Topic
herbertmt

Jan 13

herbertmt says:

Front disc collapsed.

front disc clapsed

What do you mean by that? 

Sorry, wrote that in a hurry, the disc itself is not attached and was literally being held on by the caliper.. 

The dealer said for £200 he'd fix the lot. But they also did a fresh MOT which is pretty scary..

I'm standing my ground with this and saying i'm not paying for any of it based on salt damage.. Attached a pic of the pad.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. photo  
  2. photo  
Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

pads

hi pal , a brake pad must have no less than 1mm if sintered or 1.5 if not sintered to pass so looking at your pics im guessing they should have failed, as has been said take it back and give them chance to fix it for free , if they wont then its C A time

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

As I said

Dealer not got a leg to stand on. Been there, done that. That is dangerous, dealer has sold a vehicle not of merchantable quality and in a dangerous condition. I'd get advice first thing from Citizens advice so you're sure what to say to them, then contact them to put the faults right. If they try it on, you're fore armed with the advice from CA. Thankfully these days, the bad dealers are vanishing.

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

So,,,

"Sorry, wrote that in a hurry, the disc itself is not attached and was literally being held on by the caliper."!

Still a tad confusing.. Are you saying the 5/6 bolts that hold the disc to the wheel are gone or have the bobbins that hold the actual disc to the disc carrier failed?

As for the rear brake I can't tell from that pic how thick the remaining material is on the pad but, in the dealers defence, if the brake worked for the mot and had more than minimum thickness material then you can't say they could have known..

The front brake issue on the other hand is a whole different story.. Have you any photo's of that?..

Reply to this Topic
herbertmt

Jan 13

herbertmt says:

the bobbins that hold the actual disc to the disc carrier failed

That's the one.

I don't have photos of the front i'm afraid. 

But as said, the pistons have seized and the bobbins failed. (sorry, i'm not overly knowledgeable with this stuff)

So the pad in the photo (rear) has 3mm left on it. The rear brake always did nothing from the moment i got it. (hence why  the pad is weird .. and that's why i asked the question of timescale and salt corrosion on a pad)

the front worked but the wheel was locking (had the bike on the centre stand and a mate held the back down and i couldn't move the front tyre)

The pads on the front are worn but not terrible, it's just the 6 pistons seized and the disc fucked..

They did the MOT and as my mechanic said, or suspects, they didn't check the bike over before it went or it wouldn't have been so low on oil / coolant + the brake situation.

But apart from that, do you guys think a pad would have worn in that way because of salt corrosion with 3mm left on it + the other damage?

Thanks for the all replies guys,
Anthony 

Reply to this Topic
herbertmt

Jan 13

herbertmt says:

Honestly

I'm not blaming them for not knowing, i took the bike back 5 weeks later as my mechanic said it's not just the pads.. 

So it went back to be fixed under warranty.

They called me in today after having the bike 3 days and said they won't fix the brakes unless i pay for the parts. (£200) The dealer blamed salt corrosion

The bike had been dropped on the left side before i bought it, (new bar ends and engine casing respray) so i pointed that out, and said it could have been sitting for a while etc..

So, that's how the question of: Could salt corrosion have caused this in 5 weeks (+ 400 miles) of riding.

To add, i cleaned the bike 3 weeks after getting it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices