Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

brith

Nov 10

brith says:

carb flooding

hello

A few months ago I bought an early 1960s c90 that had been standing for a while. I had the carbs ultrasonically cleaned because it wouldn't run. It now runs very irratically and the carb is continually flooding petrol from two rubber tubes. One tube is at the bottom of the float bowl the other is at the top of the carb. Does anyone know what might be causing the petrol to run out of these tubes?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 January 2013 10:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

flooding

Sounds like the needle valve operated by the float is not shutting off the fuel,the float may not be floating or the valve seating may have a foreign body in it (crap really).

Also does the fuel tap shut off?

Has an inline fuel filter been fitted?

Reply to this Topic
ricklincs45

Aug 05

ricklincs45 says:

Flooding

Best way of solving this would be to buy brand-new, genuine Honda needle valve, needle valve seat and float (most likely made of brass on your bike).  Try David Silver Spares, they're probably your best bet for the parts.

Worth also replacing the jets (especially the pilot jet) if you can get hold of them too.

Rick

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Pattern carb

You can buy a whole replacement carb for between £20 and £40 depending on which model. As long as the mounting hole centres match you can get away with 18/20 mm intakes. 

Reply to this Topic
brith

Nov 10

brith says:

carb flooding

hi

thanks for all the advice. I have stripped the carb and cleaned it with a combination of pipe cleaners and compressed air. I put the float into a bowl of petrol but it sank to the bottom, no sign of any air bubbles but I noticed that the float has been repaired about five times in the past and I wonder if all these repaires now mean that it is too heavy. I think that I will try to buy a replacment float and see what happens.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices