Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

scott111193

May 12

scott111193 says:

An interesting situation

Ok guys, here it is. 

I have a 1988 Honda XBR500 in black, all ready for its mot. I am on an a2 licence, so the 44bhp XBR needs to be restricted to 33bhp. 

Went down to the mot place to ask if they would restrict it, the guy in charge said he is confident the bike won't even exceed 33bhp on the dyno test, mostly because of its age. 

The dyno test is going to cost £20, and if the bike does produce over 33bhp even if its just over, I will need a restriction kit put in... £200 including vat. The dyno test comes with a certificate. 

If the bike does produce less than 33bhp, do I need to prove it to the insurance company or can I just ride it? 

In the event of a claim, they will see that the bike is 44bhp, so they will want to make sure it's restricted. I have asked the insurance company if in the event of a claim, they will accept the certificate as proof or not, still waiting to find out. 

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? Or have any advice? 

Scott

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 January 2013 18:22)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

IMO

for what it's worth, ins co or police will go buy manufacturers Bhp.

They will try anything (ins co's) to wriggle out of anything.

My mishap with logs and my car just before xmas goes to show how fickle they are. My car came with tinted windows legally but apparently it is a modification and I should of told them. Stuck another 22.00 on my premium.  The company whos fault it was were haggling over this!!! Thankfully the company who I ordered the consignment from which ended up on the bonnet of my car stepped in and helped.

Police probably isn't so important unless you were speeding well above the capabilities of a 33 bhp.

Accident whether your fault or not could hamper payouts and all sorts.

Fit the kit it could be a lot less costly if the worst was to happen

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

33bhp

Mate who has a KTM SM, his insurance company insisted he could prove it was 33bhp. So the local dyno house dyno'd it to prove it's only 33bhp. The insurance company were happy with this.

If the dyno operator had opened the throttle fully, then it would have been OVER 33bhp :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices