Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust?

I've just got my first 'big' bike – a 2002 Honda CBR900RR-2 – which is currently completely standard, and I really want to pull some power out of the motor. I've got a Power Commander for it, and am looking to buy an exhaust end can, but the choices are baffling. I've found loads of cans from £100 to £500, but have...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 January 2013 14:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Blade enhancements

Why would you want more power from a Fireblade?  It's fast enough and good enough as it is.  Rather than spend money on performance that you can't use on the road spend it on fuel and tyres instead and go rack up some miles on your bike.  

Reply to this Topic
cyfer83

Mar 09

cyfer83 says:

Why?

As with the other comment listed here...

MCN: What an utterly pointless page filler this is... I'm gonna put my visor down...

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

Why?

Why Marcus?  ..Because they sound like a sewing machine with the OEM can on and it doesn't look the best. I do agree though, blades are plenty fast enough as they come and a can and PC3 isn't going to make it much quicker in reality.:sunglasses:

For me, it depends on the colour of your bike, some bikes look better with carbon and other look better with Titanium or Aluminium and its also down to your choice of what you think looks nice. Pretty much all after market cans will sound loads better than the OEM can and let it make a few more BHP.:tongue:

As for make, yes you certainly pay a bit more for the name on some makes, like Akro, Yoshi, Arrow but from my experience they also hold better value if you come to sell it later and they are well made. I had a micron on a blade I had many years ago but they are not in business now. It really depends on how much you can afford. I'd be looking on ebay and blade forums to find a good condition used can as on a 10 year old bike worth about £2.5k it's not good sense to spend £500 for a can, that'll pay for insurance, tax, and some petrol.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Hahahahaha

'...the choices are baffling'.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"the choices are baffling"  Yep, they sure are.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Dead Money

An exhaust end can won't make any noticeable performance improvement, but what it will do is make the bike look and sound a bit different from every other fireblade. Why have a ten year old bike and throw hundreds of pounds at it, your better off saving up for a more modern one with bags more power instead if its just power that you are after. I've seen people spend as much as three thousand pounds to gain 14 BHP when they could have traded up for a much newer and bigger bike for less money.

Only buy an end can for a new look and sound, performance upgrade it is not.

Reply to this Topic
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

Mostly Brand Name

they're all pretty much just reducing back pressure, which drops power on a motor with no other mods, check out undamaged second hand end cans, something that looks nice and is light (you will notice the weight save if you have a heavy cat converter) and then get the engine rejetted/mapped/whatever to work with the can and you'll probably get an extra few tiny unnoticable bhp's out of it :) they do sound nice though, plus cops can year you a mile off! easy points on your licence

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

End cans

I have nothing against end cans.  I have one on my FZS1000 it looks much better than the original as well as giving it a better sound - although I always run it with the baffle in.  My point is that an 02' Fireblade does not need any more performance than Mr Baba gave it. 

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Don't listen to the naysayers below. You can pick up a nice and light end can quite cheap and with the power commander you have, it will free up the engine quite a bit. Look at replacing the air filter with a K&N, or similar, they are much cheaper in the long run and give the engine greater air volume. May have to fiddle around with the settings to optimize the PC, but check for forums online and a lot of guys can help you out with settings. For about $1000  Australian (600 quid), I was able to increase my Bandits power output by over 30%, (99 bhp -> 129 bhp). Torque also increased significantly (10.5kg*m -> 13.7 kg*m). This included a TFi box, K&N, Full Arrow headers, Delkevic end can and TRE box. The weight savings were over 10kg as well. If you're handy with a spanner, you'll save lots of money. A new bike is not necessarily the best option. New bikes require professional maintenance for the duration of the warranty period, which can be costly. Better to get a good second hand bike IMO.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

First, get consistent lap times with it as stock

Oh, wait, you mean on the road? Put anything on it then, it's just fantasy pimping a bike that's already far beyond your ability.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices