Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust?

I've just got my first 'big' bike – a 2002 Honda CBR900RR-2 – which is currently completely standard, and I really want to pull some power out of the motor. I've got a Power Commander for it, and am looking to buy an exhaust end can, but the choices are baffling. I've found loads of cans from £100 to £500, but have...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 January 2013 14:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

Akrapovic

Akrapovic, Quality makes a huge difference. A lesser exhaust will provide the same power gains but sound like an old tractor in a short time. Go for the long version, short cans are either, arrest me, loud or clogged up with baffles that make them worse than standard performance wise.

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

I had a  Skorpion on my FZS600 that sounded great and got through 2 winters but still looked new, great quality. It came on the bike though so I dont know how much of a difference it made to the power. I'd definately get another one. If you're fitting a pc and end can you want to budget for a little dyno time to set them up properly. I'd also consider changing the gearing as this can make a different to the feel of the power delivery. Different numbers of teeth on your sprockets will boost acceleration or top end speed dependant on what you want. this can give the feeling of more power.

Reply to this Topic
kennygorrie

Jul 08

kennygorrie says:

Ahem

Obviously some people missed it read "I'd like to pull some power out the engine" and gave there professional opinion on what mods they should do. I put a racefit slash on my gsxr750k7 and the most noticeable was much improved bottom end and throttle response. But above all, it looked and sounded awesome. It always grabbed attention when parked up but you could see mothers practically stuff there kids inside there jacket when u went past!!!! Apparently a rule of thumb is if it's a short exhaust it will give more bottom end and if it's a longer one it will help with top end. You also need to know if your slip on gets rid of the cat as really that's what strangles the engine. If not it will purely be for aesthetics!!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Don't be a muppet, preunit, nobody asked this question

It's a MCN trolling-for-content article.  Fair enough, it's a free site, and tossing a pearl necklace of wisdom their way once in a while is the least we can do. But don't for a second believe that there' anyone out there blubbing into their Tizer because it hasn't been treated as a serious question.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"nobody asked this question"

Not much gets past you.........Eh Rog :winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Bugger me backwards.....

calm down chaps.  IMHO, aftermarket exhausts together with filter and PC will make a worthwhile difference to the performance of most large capacity bikes. My 08 Hayabusa made 187bhp at the rear wheel which was an increase of 14bhp over stock . furthermore, the way the power was made together with the improved throtle response was a welcome improvement. When It came to selling the items, I was able to sell at the same price that I paid due to importing them from USA at a fraction of the UK price (rip off Britain). Free Performance Upgrade , What's not to like about that?

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Aint just a power increase.

Take a stock Gen 1 Busa.

Remove heavy, butugly, huge and generally crap quality OE exhaust system.

Fit a full race-only lightweight Yoshimura 4 into 1 stainless steel race exhaust.

Do the airbox mods to increase air volume and air flow inside the OE airbox.

Ditch the standard pair valve assembly and fit blanking plates. (summat to do with fuel scavenging bollocks)

Fit a Power Commander and then GET THE BIKE DYNO'D !!! Time on rolling road with someone who knows wtf they are doing with fuel maps.

End result is a Busa which had somewhere around 165 bhp at the crank as standard was then up to 178 bhp measured at the back wheel. There is a whole world of difference between power at the crank and power at the back wheel. But the big difference is the freeing up of the engine. Fuck the emissions regs. Free flowing air and gas through the engine makes for much more rideable and more usable power delivery. Its a real joy when the motor is free breathing. That is how they are supposed to be, not stifled because of some Eurotwat in Brussels.

Get rid of the fuel strangulation and get rid of the emissions garbage. Then when you are used to that, try fitting a nice blower or a turbo ? More power is never enough. But remember tuning does not come cheap. You would be shocked at how much money you can chuck at a bike.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Hosbusa...

I only fitted slip-on Yoshi carbon R77's on my Gen2 Busa but would love to have got a similar percentage gain as yours with the full race system. Reckon it would be about 195 at the wheel (@ 220 at the crank) not to mention the torque gain. The new ZZR1400 would be interesting with similar Mod's.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

snev

if it's not an inopportune moment, can i have my rattle and dummy back pls.... FPMSL

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Preunit...

When I've finished throwing all my toys out ! (yes yes yes, I know I'm being a "Wanker, Wank Stain and Dickhead" but it's not like this is a "Football Forum" is it?) RESPECT DUDE.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle