Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Which exhaust?

I've just got my first 'big' bike – a 2002 Honda CBR900RR-2 – which is currently completely standard, and I really want to pull some power out of the motor. I've got a Power Commander for it, and am looking to buy an exhaust end can, but the choices are baffling. I've found loads of cans from £100 to £500, but have...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 January 2013 14:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Unintended Pun ?

It struck me as funny when the article said "the choices are baffling".   :biggrin:

Anyway back to the question: Is the choice to be made from road-legal end cans? Assuming it is, I had a 2010 Blade with the Akrapovic can which has a Honda part number and meets all current legislation. It gave a decent weight saving, sounded really good and looked the business too.

Going off-topic a little Snev and Hosbusa mentioned the ZZR1400. I bought a 2012 model and have just fitted a Brock's CT exhaust system, a Dynojet PCV with 02 Optimizer and fuel maps, a reflashed ECU by Don Guhl and a few other goodies. An identically modified bike owned by a friend made 202bhp at the rear wheel on our local dyno last week. There's also the 30lb weight saving over the stock system to consider because the result is a pretty good bike made totally brilliant. A Kawasaki employee has already had a stock 2012 ZZR over 200mph, at Elvington last year, we're looking forward to running our modded bikes there in March.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Bob 1

That ZZR14 with over 200 rwhp sounds amazing ! You gotto crack the double ton on that? That kind of power with the right fuelling is amazing.

I haven't been to Elvi for a good while. Mind you its a bit of a treck for me now. I'm closer to the other top speed event if you know what I mean.

Do you get down Santa Pod much? I'd like to see that on the strip !! Mind you, probably have to stretch the wheelbase a bit.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

snev, my bike was low on power to start with for some reason. I have heard of stock Gen 1 Busa's making over 170 at the rear wheel. But they are not all the same power output even when fresh out of the crate.

The biggest and most significant improvement is the huge increase in rideability ! It makes these high power bikes safer to ride when they have all the restrictive crap removed. The Busa can be an absolute pig on small throttle openings and stutters and farts when trying to manouver the big tub in tight turns and mini islands and such like. When you try and give it a fraction more throttle to get it to move smoothly, you end up giving it too much and its all because of all the emissisons and restrictions tat they have to put on them. These motors run best when they are free breathing. I reckon modest performance mods with a good dyno set up are worth every penny just for the improved rideability !

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hosbusa

My second Gen2 Busa makes 177 as stock at the wheel which corresponds to the 197 crank figure officially quoted by Suzuki, all told I have amassed @ 86000 miles on my 2 Busa's in 5 years also owned an 06 ZZR1400 and an 05 Blackbird all new when purchased. I also own a number of other bikes and a couple of special cars so I can spread out the miles depending on my mood. In total I have owned, Ragged and enjoyed riding 47 Bikes without being done for speeding once. Touch Wood.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Dunno about what exhaust for a Fireblade but going all nostalgic, I can hear 2-stroke MX bikes and my own commuting and weekend dirt fun DT250 with a Fresco... and if I listen hard enough I can hear RD's and KH's with Allspeeds........ahhhh happy days.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Yes Yes Yes...

OMG Yes The sound of a KH Triple with Allspeeds... OMG and the smell of Castrol R ............ Orgasmic!

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

getting a bit of a wet patch

A standard RG500 is glorious. That's before you stick on Jim Lomas or Jolly Moto's. Oh God these were great days... courtesy of mircomoto on you tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyC5RBCwknI

:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

GT380 ram air...

GT750 kettle... RD350LC....absolutely awesome then came the honda NSR400 triple, what a let down in the aural department.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

ah yes, the NS400 was probably the worst ever 2 stroke sound track. It sounded like popcorn being made in a tin can. There was no real oomph to it. I may have to buy a KH with allspeeds now. Not to ride though, just to listen to in the garage :)

Reply to this Topic
R1SP2006

Jan 13

R1SP2006 says:

best bang for your buck

If your just looking for a better sound for you Honda any slip-on will do try not to go to big with the core as it will be too loud and loose too much bottom end which is what you want on a street bike everyone wants the big horse power figure but torque is the key loose torque and the bike will feel slow ive been building superbike/supersport race engines since 1999 the best thing you can do is air filter K&N DNA BMC with a pipe full or slip-on depending on the coin you wish to outlay ECU Tunning is crutial in getting the best out of it once the mods are done then get it properly tuned dont just upload a map from off the net because it wont be right take it to a authorised tune shop custom mapping is very important you can set it up for full power fueling when you want to race your mates or lean it off for the h/way runs

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices