Skip to content

Ask an Expert Kinroad xt125-18 kickstart? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Kinroad xt125-18 kickstart?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dropdead259

Jan 13

dropdead259 says:

Kinroad xt125-18 kickstart?

Hello,

Basically ill tell you a bit about what happened then tell you what happened at the garage.

So basically i set off to work as normal as every single day used the electric start as always got to the bottom of my road and the kick start flew out so i thought nothing of it pushed it back in all fine, i get the road near work and it flicks out again and starts spinning and then jammed and killed the engine. now it wont start and makes a proper bad noise. now to the garage...

So basically i wont recommended to a local repair shop for motorbikes, they said 'yeh yeh easy one spring £70' so i thought wow okay let them have it. next days i gets a phone call we need you to come in, so i did. They said the kick start mechnaism is inside the engine/gearbox to do it we would need to remove the engine strip down the whole bike! and it would take 10 hours labour and then hopefully just a spring £500! well i only spent £300 on the bike so thats like all my money i had gone... then they said it took them one hour to unscrew 4 bolts and i had to pay £50 but they would deliver it my house so i paid it i got home and they delivered the bike... in bits?! nothings connected no clutch nothing... what do i do? i would like to try fix it my self but how would i do this could someone talk me through it or any suggestions anything i need help?

thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 January 2013 19:29)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha XT 125 Year? 18?

Hi Dropdead259 and welcome to the site:smile

I think your bike is a Yamaha? you don't say what it is,what is 18?what year is it? what milage is it?when was it last serviced?when was the last oil change?and what oil grade of oil was used?

By what you have described so far it sounds like the kick start one way gear and or its mechanism,and possibly the idler gear have seized ?.This could potentially cause damage to the clutch kick start drive gear on the clutch basket?not being able to see the parts to assess them would be difficult to tell the extent of the damage.These problems usually occur due to lack of oil or lack of regular oil changes.Can't be sure?but you may get away with a new complete kick start mechanism,but could also need a clutch basket if the kick start gear isn't a replaceable item,also there could be damage to the clutch case where the kick start return stop sits?.When was it last serviced?(these small engines need regular oil changes to prevent early high wear and catastrophic failures usually seize the cam into the head due to lack of oil or old oil) Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Silly me

Just Googled Kinroad XT 125 18 to find its a cheap Chinese bike,should probably be better off calling it a Fuckinroad.This Chinese bike are just very poor replicas of good reliable Japanese bike engines which need frequent servicing to keep them reliable,so there ain't much chance with a Chinese one.But that's only my opinion,should think it would need the same repair though.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices