Skip to content

Discuss This Monster deal for Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Monster deal for Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Monster deal for Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo

Yamaha’s factory MotoGP squad, featuring Valentino Rossi and reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo in 2013, has signed a two-year sponsorship agreement with US energy drink giant Monster. Monster Energy branding will be visible on the bikes and leathers of Rossi and Lorenzo as well as on all official team clothing and equipment. The deal for 2013 and 2014 though is not a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 January 2013 13:41)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

VFR

You have missed the plot. How humiliating for lorenzo that yamaha went with rossis sponser and not his. As world champ that must sting...he is their "lead rider" after all. Yamaha chose rossis sponser because monster said here is a boat load of money...all we ask is that we are number 1-no sharing with the competition.To which yamaha replied...no problem...we have absolutely no loyalty to rockstar- they are jorge's sponser not ours. We will happily cover his piddly personal sponsership in exchange for a very lucrative team sponsership deal.

Humiliating for Lorenzo? - Probably doesn't give a toss, still gets his money and is more likely smirking at Monster's panic induced U-turn

Monster wanted to change from being just Rossi's personal sponsor - ie: his riding kit - to sponsoring the bike and having it in their livery. Rockstar responded by offering the same deal to Yamaha for Lorenzo's bike - that was 1.5m euros for each bike, plus the personal deals which were seperate. This was agreed by Yamaha before the end of last season, but not signed.

Before that happened, Monster got cold feet with the realisation that another brand sponsored Yamaha would most likely be getting more exposure / better results than their sponsored bike by virtue of the fact that Lorenzo has a better chance of winning. So they had two choices, pull out and return to the original deal of Rossi's personal sponsor or, buy out Lorenzo's deal and sponsor the entire team and both bikes.

All because they are worried Rossi can't deliver on track and they couldn't take the chance that they would probably be beaten by a rival sponsor. That's why it evolved like it did - it's in the press release. Bet whoever had that idea wished they'd kept their mouth shut as it's cost them another few million..

Monster have a long association with Yamaha and have been sponsors to them for years in other forms of bike sport, they've also sponsored Tech3 for a few years. To say Rossi brought Monster to Yamaha isn't really true.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

If I was Lorenzo I would be seriously pissed off right now

If he is, it should get them off to a nice friendly start at round 1....

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

Your right with that one Bultoboy, anything that ramps up the rivalry can only be good for the championship

Reply to this Topic
motoking

Jul 11

motoking says:

bulto is right

smart comment from smart people. i agree with you.

unlike crazy dog that don't has brain. barking out loud but nothing inside. LOL.

rockstar beat monshit energy? LOL. that would be embarassing moment just like 2011, 2012. 

lorenzo don't care about sponsorship. as long as his payment transfer on time, WHO CARE??? the most important him is to beat that what so call the 9 times lucky ass CHICKEN champ again just like 2010. wohoooo..... 

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

2008..and Orange trolls.

Monster are the top USA drink and wanted to break into the European market.

Rossi signed a personal deal with them after they switched backing from Hopkins.

As a result, and because the factory team had FIAT & Petronas at the time, Monster backed the Tech3 team.

Now Rossi is back at Yamaha and they are without major sponsors, there is opportunity to continue the association with Rossi and with the factory team too.

Along the way, Monster have been able to give another rival a good shoeing.

They have stumped up more money. Not taken it from somewhere else and switched backing.

FIAT - 14m a year. Petronas - 8m a year.

Came because of Val and left after he moved from Yamaha.

It never ceases to amaze how far the anti-Rossisti like Bulto will go, making themselves look bias think they know-it-all gumbies, to try and take the shine off Rossi.

They know Valentino is in a class of one when it comes to marketability, but the personal dislike is so intense, they just can't help it.

Bitter trolls, not race fans.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/yamaha_team_set_for_rebrand_under_terms_of_us5m_monster_deal/

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Still you obsess over me Saturn

Who should get out more?

Now, please take my original post on this thread and dissect it.  Point out any inconsistencies and why that may be the case. Rememberng Yamaha's race department didn't want Rossi, he was forced upon them by suits further up the chain of command. Going to struggle aren't you?

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

MrKrabz?

"If I was Lorenzo I would be seriously pissed off right now. Team leader and world champ being told to drop his sponsor because the prodigal son has returned. Ouch!"

If you think about it he is in demand by 2 sponsors... he had a personal contract with Rock-Star which Monster had to buy out to make the deal viable. So Monster not only had to pay off Rock-Star but also have to stump up JL's personal sponsorship money... that's a lot of effort to secure the WC & ensure their name is on the winning bike at least some of the time.

Some riders struggle to get 1 decent sponsor. JL has them queuing at his door buying each other out!

No doubt they wanted Rossi for the fame but to have their name beaten consistently (like it was last year with BS) in such a high profile way was not an option. JL was just sitting back & watching the $'s fly around. Must be great but that's the pull that being the WC brings!

:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

Hedgy

Fair point, all about the $$$$ I suppose, Doubt Lorenzo actually drinks either product anyway, The point I was trying to make was that if I was World champ and team No1 and my old rival came back and all of sudden im being told to drop my personal sponsor and take the same sponsor as someone I really don't like it would get my back up a bit. So long as he beat's Rossi I suppose he doesn't care who sponsors him.

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Wosi...

"Rossi signed a personal deal with them after they switched backing from Hopkins"...

Yes..the same Hopkins who was one of the original Red Bull guys.....same shit, differerent can.

Who really gives a f*ck as long as someone pays the bills....

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Rossi is like a fake gold Rolex Wosi

Shiny, glizzy, appears to be the real deal on the surface and gets the basic job done. But ultimately fails when the acid is really on and the test is too tough. Pop, boink, ruined, shown for what he really is - a pampered, control freakery charlatan.

Only a great champion can ride a difficult bike into the winners circle. Think Lawson, think Stoner.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices