Skip to content

Ask an Expert Truly Waterproof Boots... Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Truly Waterproof Boots...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Truly Waterproof Boots...

...any suggestions? My feet got absolutely soaked riding home the other week even though my boots are supposed to be waterproof and thanks to a previous experience (when I realised that they wasn't as waterproof as they stated) was wearing 'waterproof' gators over the top. The gators and boots held up for nearly two hours of motorway miles but gave out and it was like the floodgates opened.

:mad:

Ok I "only" spend £100 on my boots but without a guarantee that they'll be waterproof in all conditions I'm a bit reluctant to spend more.

It seems the boots are the achilles heel in my motorcycle gear (along with my frickin' tank bag) with regards to the wet weather.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 January 2013 21:18)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

Derri boots

I first started using them for biking in the early '70's... they looked a little different then though. But, as you say, waterproof and warm, but little protection.  :smile

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Gaerne

Gaerne seem pretty solid and waterproof. My Dad gave me his old Gaerne Strada boots which have kept my feet bone dry in pouring rain. Zip up my waterproof trousers over the outside of my boots so nothing can get in the top and hey presto, dry feet.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Aplinestars SMX4 waterproof

Still keeping the water out 40k all season miles later.  The soles are now holed and water swishes around between the sole and the footbed, but it still doesn't get to the inside.  Must glue 'em back on and get another 10k out of them...

Hope the SMX5 waterproof are as good.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Fanx

Thanks guys, not sure about the Derri boots, would be fine if I'd bought the W800 along with a wax jacket (don't laugh I was seriously considering buying one - and a W800)!

The Gaerne boots look pretty trick but sourcing them in the UK looks difficult without using flea-bay (one too many bad experiences using that pirate site so I stay clear). Might take an even bigger risk and source them from the states - I'm anything if not sensible!

I'm liking the look of the Alpinestars, might give them a try too. Would probably be the more sensible approach as there's plenty of places that sell them in the UK.

By the way, I'm currently using Spada ST1's which are supposed to be waterproof but as stated above don't last the distance in long motorway rides of driving rain. I think I'll write a review soon.

Back with the plastic carrier-bags until I save some pennies for me then!

Reply to this Topic
Charllotte10

Jan 13

Charllotte10 says:

Pricey but worth it

I use these boots, you may be shocked by the price, but ive had them YEARS. Whilst on my own bike and my partners and they come in blue :) they are comfy and gore tex

I got them from this Shop too, cant recommend them enough

http://www.smartriders.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=222&product_id=298

If they are too pricey, try these, they are just as good but with a better price tag. Plus they come with a years guarantee.

http://www.smartriders.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=222&product_id=140

Hope this helps xx

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Not boots, but

£1,000 for a jacket?!

(video review)

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

feet

How about getting some sealskinz sock? They are waterproof and cost less than your boots.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

I wear

Sidi goretex. Quite a bit more than 100 quid but they have never let a drop in.

You gets what you pay for.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices