Skip to content

Ask an Expert Truly Waterproof Boots... Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Truly Waterproof Boots...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Truly Waterproof Boots...

...any suggestions? My feet got absolutely soaked riding home the other week even though my boots are supposed to be waterproof and thanks to a previous experience (when I realised that they wasn't as waterproof as they stated) was wearing 'waterproof' gators over the top. The gators and boots held up for nearly two hours of motorway miles but gave out and it was like the floodgates opened.

:mad:

Ok I "only" spend £100 on my boots but without a guarantee that they'll be waterproof in all conditions I'm a bit reluctant to spend more.

It seems the boots are the achilles heel in my motorcycle gear (along with my frickin' tank bag) with regards to the wet weather.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 January 2013 21:18)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Charlotte10

Thanks for that, you've convinced me that any store that needs to spam motorcycle threads is to be avoided, great tip, cheers!

:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

eatcs01

Yup, I think I might invest in a pair of those Sealskinz, actually speaking to someone last night about my leaky boots and they suggested them too. I googled the video and they look pretty trick. Beats spending out on a new pair of boots for now.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

In

Ride magazine one of their writers was wearing that rukka jacket when some BMW driver on their phone sent him off on shell grip and it held together.

Pretty sure my £500 jacket would have torn apart or abraded through.

£1,100 is also quite reasonable for them. Their Merlin leather jacket is something like £1300+

As for boots - altberg do a couple of good ones and they're very good. They're over your budget but good boots made by hand will be.

EDIT: Oh and I used my altberg clubmans so much that there's a couple of millimetres of sole left and the tread has almost gone. Every day in all weathers and very rarely got too hot or cold.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

roseyeric

I think I've come to realize that you get what you pay for when it comes to all-year motorcycle boots. Will probably be investing a fair bit more than a hundred smackers when I buy the next set. For now I think I'll stick with the far cheaper Sealskinz socks options and put the money I save towards a (much more needed) new helmet.

On the subject of helmets I'm a fan of flip-front lids (I like open-face lids too but not for the amount of motorway miles I do - full-face affairs leave me feeling a little claustrophobic :ph43r:) and have been thinking about a Shark Evoline, does anyone else have any experience of them?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

money

You get what you pay for...

But sometimes we can't afford a lot.

Reply to this Topic
roseyeric

Oct 11

roseyeric says:

Daz

sounds like a good plan to me. I would certainly recommend waiting to get a pair that do the job rather than spending a still considerable amount of money on a pair that won't now.

Sealskinz sound like a good way of buying you that time and from what I've read about them will be a good investment anyway.

I didn't buy any Sealskinz, but I did save until I could buy the Sidis having been unconvinced that a cheaper pair would keep me dry year round. In the end got them a bit sooner than I thought when a solitary pair in 'last year's' style were available at my local shop in my size with 70-80 quid off.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Recent road test

by ride magazine. They included a few VERY expensive boots so I'll miss those out and just list the cheaper ones:

2nd - Altberg Clubman Roadster - I've used these and aside from the lack of armour they're fantastic. Comfortable and the temperature is well regulated whatever the weather. Needs treating with leather goop every so often. Walking boot sole makes them great for walking in. I'd buy again, although there's a lead time whilst they make them - made to measure service available but costs. These are boots you forget about as they just do their job without you noticing. Eventually the waterproof lining went as did the sole (I wore it down) but I do high mileage so I don't expect my kit to last as long. When my current boots wear out, I'll be looking at their newer model (think it's called the roadrunner or something).

3rd - Daytona Roadstar GTX - My current boot (although bought from Hein Gerike who sell them under a different name - Shair GTX). Good, a *bit* more protection but not as good as altberg when you get below 0C. Goretex liner should last longer than the liner in the Altbergs.

4th TCX S-Race Goretex. Not used these but they are more protective by the look of it.

6th BMW Santiago - Look better armoured than the top two but also came with a good long term recommendation from a writer who wore them out and wants more. Occasional manufacturing faults require return so buy from a shop and not off t'interweb.

Not listed prices as they will have changed since that test but altberg are cheapest. 

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

the tcx boots are great and will keep the water out. i allways wear my stuff over the boots so rain cant get in. mine are 3 -4 years old and wear then in all weather

Reply to this Topic
Charllotte10

Jan 13

Charllotte10 says:

Offended

I dont know why you think Im spam? Im a beauty therapist at Beauty&Beyond, go on there website www.beautyandbeyond.uk.com, you can come in and ask for me at any point.

I was only trying to help, next time I'll keep my opinion to myself, I use the cheaper boots myself but posted the others as was reccomended by a friend.

Ill keep my opinion private next time!:upset:

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Boots

Sidi "black rain" , not the cheapest, but i ride all year round and they've never let me down yet. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices