You are in... Forums > General > General > Films for these long, dark nights

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Films for these long, dark nights

Anyone got a recommendation for a decent DVD to buy/rent, to see these Winter nights away?  Something with a decent plot,  good bit of action, well directed - none of this "shaky-cam" stuff, please :smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 January 2013 12:22)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

SL

French films..... Amelie? maybe a chic flic, I got recommended by a male and thouroughly enjoyed, I think the follow up (sort of) is the delicatessan. Mr baldy has it spot on with shawshank, no better feel good film. On a par with green mile. Blast from the past, surburbia, a very dark film I think commissioned by channel 4. Or fried green tomatoes, and delores claiborne both with the wonderful, Kathy Bates.

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

Thx

Get your self a copy of THX1138. Its george lucas first ever film. Way ahead of its time might warp your head a bit though. Theres a good bike chase bit in it as well! 

Sort of cult film that would be banned, bit like clockwork orange but not as nasty

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

Akira

You proberley have seen Akira? Well if not theres another good one, but a bit old now but still one of the greatest manga films ever made

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Hunger Games

think Running Man but with children.... :wacko:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Films

CJ:   Took a look at that Amelie - looks a bit on the dodgy side to me, sorry, almost as bad as "Dear Henry" or "chocolat".   Maybe I'm wrong, and this one is OK, but I still get nightmares about those other two :ph43r:

Will think about Fried Green Tomatoes - looks interesting.  Suburbia looks good too, but rather expensive for a 2004 film.

The Shawshank Redemption was one film that actually did justice to the book (which is well worth reading).

VR:  Wag the Dog was pretty funny, watched that while living in America, and it seemed pretty obvious it was a hit on Clinton.  Well acted, though.

Jawa:  Seen THX1138 in the past, but the film is damned expensive - £13 for a 1971 film!  Jeez.  Is this Akira the 2011 film,  or a the collection from 1991?

Boult:  Will have to wait another year or so for The Hunger Games - still a bit pricey.

Thanks!

:smile

Reply to this Topic
denzil z9

Apr 07

denzil z9 says:

Twelve

angry men, serenity. the watchmen and orphan some of my faves:wink:

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Amateurcynic:

Just watched District-9 with the misses.  Cracking film - cheers dude!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Agree with CJ

Fried Green Tomatoes is an awesome film, and one of my all time fav's.

If you ain't seen Kick Ass then defo give that a go, highly entertaining.:smile

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

SL

You must be looking at different suburbia. This one came out in 1984. Channel four shown it when it was a bit more of a risque channel. May have even had the red triangle warning, which probably drew me to it :winkie:

worth a look if you can put up with punk music:winkie:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

SL...

District 9, saw that a few weeks ago too, never came on my film radar, as I don't normally enjoy 'alien' type films, but that was very good, sequel out next year apparently.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices