Skip to content

TRIUMPH Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport unveiled TIGER 1050

You are in... Forums > TRIUMPH > TIGER 1050 > Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport unveiled

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport unveiled

Triumph has unveiled its new Tiger Sport 1050, which was first spotted by MCN in March 2012, and again in a more finished form in November. Power is improved by 10bhp over the outgoing model (now up to 123bhp) and the bodywork has been redesigned. The bike also features a new swingarm, wheels and suspension. Prices for the Tiger Sport will be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 January 2013 10:33)

Post a message in TIGER 1050

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
crawsue

Aug 09

crawsue says:

There is plenty to like

here,a good few refinements to brakes, swingarm,lights,engine.......I would definately look at it as a replacement for my 1050 ST....but high cans limit it's all-round-ability, Ducati present the M/S in touring and sport modes, so why don't Trumpet do the same? Opportunity lost IMHO >

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Agree with Robell

I loved my St 1050 but a Tiger would suit me better as I'm well over 6 foot... and I like Triumph's reliabilty (on my 4th one now and never had a breakdown).

So this one bridges the gap between the Speed trip and the Sprint ST - if the price is right I might be interested.

I agree with the exhaust comments though - a higher pipe might  look good but these bikes are mostly about practicallity and usability, therefore give me a lower pipe and bigger side boxes.

And yep - most people who ride the 1050 engine reckon it's a peach on real roads! it might not make 150bhp but it's lovely to ride and does 60mpg... it'd be my preference every time.

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

It looks a lot like the old one, tbh. The question I have is what's going on with that exhaust. Why didn't they do a modern low one or an under-seat one. As it stands, all the weight is very high for the fast guys, or blocking panniers for those who want to tour on it. I want to like it, but I don't.

Reply to this Topic
staian

Jan 13

staian says:

My '09 Tiger is just coming up to 40k

IF, I swap it (i've no burning desire) this could be the bike to swap it for...........

It's one of the most competent, underrated, over looked bikes on the road.

PS Hi can has no bearing on it's ablility

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

60 mpg

HI Zoobaz I had one of these and comuting in and out of town avaraged about 32mpg, without being rude are you riding like a saint , then again I struggled to made 30 on a VFR1200 ! and before you say it yes I could go slower,  and be about 2 stone lighter!

Reply to this Topic
greenturbobob

Nov 05

Dissapointed

You have no idea. I have had 2 tigers and four other Triumphs now and whilst the Tiger is very good, they needed and could handle a lot more power. I was hoping for 133bhp, the same as the Speed triple, but no we end with 123bhp instead and with the added weight (235kg wet) it is not enough. I am also not very impressed with the styling. Active suspension and traction control would have been nice to have had as well, because I live on shitty roads. When my Speed triple comes up for a change I will be buying a Hyperstrada instead. Sorry Triumph you have lost a customer on this one.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Hi Plumber...

60mpg was on runs on the Sprint ST1050 - not sure about the taller tiger...

I don't ride exactly like a vicar either - just commute on the M1 early mornings so just keep to a steady 80ish (any faster and the unmarked cars / cameras get you).

My Bandit 1200 only manages low 50s - and is much worse on A roads & commuting, so the ST is definitely better on fuel. My wife's SV 1000 is better than the Bandit but still not as good as the ST - and the mirrors are rubbish!

So, i'd still like this new Tiger becaus it'll do everything I need it to, it looks good, will be reliable and won't depriciate like my Bandit!

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Teaboy1962

Mar 09

Teaboy1962 says:

So near but is it so far ?

Held out so much hope for this new version I have a 2011 tiger 1050 (my 2nd) and must say its a great bike day long comfort and enough performance for the real world with the extra help given by arrow race can and a set of Metzler m8 tyres. But 2 major problems other half wont do long distance due to high seat position and the lights are how can I put it politely eeerrrrrrr CRAP!

So how have Triumph done well must say lights look much better, engine spec reads well take a look at web site and see how low down the rev range the max torque figure is should pull so well 2 up, like the general styling BUT the alleged lower pillion seat doesnt look that much lowerthan previous, oh those tacky fairing side panel stripes how 1970s original spy shots without them looked so much better and why why why the high level exhaust you only have to take a look at the Mivv low pipe for tiger at www.mivv.it/risorse/11/546/684/T010L7a.jpg to see what could have been!

So will I be tempted after test ride will tell but at the moment im thinking my money will be heading to Austria for a KTM 1190 Adventure which looks stunning and felt great when sat on at NEC if it rides half as well as the promises to its going to rob Triumph of a customer as they have on first impressions not done quite enough.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

tiger v sprint

Ridden loads of Triumphs but never ridden a Tiger. 

If I wanted to cover long distances quickly then I would want a Sprint in either 1050 or 955 form. They are what sports tourers should be. My 955's served me superbly. No complaints what so ever. ok, maybe the lights could have been better but superb bikes none the less. Never let me down once, although the clutch cable snapped once. Poor maint by myself, so I kept a spare under the seat afterwards. Even loved the cream faced dials with pink backlight on my green Sprint. Lovely at night. 

I might even buy another Sprint ST955 for this year.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

pillion seat...

a few people have mentioned the seat... my mate and his missus really fancied a Tiger until they did a test ride - mind you he's four foot fookin nothin and she's a honey monster... never mind.

anyway, point is, I did loads of miles on my first Sprint and squashed the foam in the seat after 6 yrs of ownership.... so I got it re-foamed and re-covered. cost me £25 from a bloke in Ikleston and transformed an already brilliant bike. sooooo, don't let the seat put you off - some of us are lanky and like it that way. And before you start talking about adjustable seats - I've tried so-called adjustable seats on beemers and I'm not a convert....

me, i buy a bike for the long-term, and a small investment like getting the seat to my liking isn't a major hurdle... a crap tank range and poor reliability (vrf1200) and rubbish dealer backup (beemers) is a major hurdle...

Baz

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices