Skip to content

Ask an Expert Should I be worried? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Should I be worried?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Should I be worried?

Got back from my 100 mile commute today and noticed this (see images). Obviously something isn't right with all that gunk but what's wrong and how urgently do I need to fix it?

The bike gets over 200 miles a week these days so should I get this looked at this weekend?

Cheers,

Late 2011 Kawasaki ER6n 10k miles.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (11 January 2013 15:20)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davidstowe358

Jun 08

worried

Hello mate looks like oil from the chain thats flinging off to me.

If it is don't worry about it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

chain lube

I'd go along with that, too  :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Thank fook!

I've been cleaning it and re-lubing it with that white spray stuff every weekend, it's supposed to be "non-fling"!

Might look into getting a Scottoiler with the miles I do but I didn't want to get lazy and stop cleaning it.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

gunge

What chain lube are you using and how are you appying it?

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Grungy gunging ganger

I use Procycle White Chain Lube (spray can).

I stick it on a paddock stand, I spray it with chain cleaner first, leave to work, clean with a hose, rag and a toothbrush, cover tyres and parts that might be exposed to the lube then spray liberally turning the wheel to ensure whole chain is covered. Leave to dry overnight before riding.

All as instructed. Scottoiler sounds much easier, if not lazier which is why I'm dubious, I'd probably get lazy and don't bother cleaning it too.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Daz

i ride my bike a couple or 3 times a week all year round, and i like you keep degreasing and relubing the chain weeklyish throughout the winter.

I use gearbox oil as chain lube, put it on with a small paint brush when the chains warmish, wipe off excess and ride off, you do get fling (watch your rear tyre) keeps the chain lubed and porotected. My gearbox/engine was smoking yesterday morning by the front sprocket, nowt like the smell of EP 90 :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Fling.

My old XJR400's sprocket cover was shockingly full of wax-lube and stones. It was my first bike and I used to "spray liberally" thinking I was doing the bike a favour Now I think the key is to wipe off the excess, as Preunit says. I've also switched to gear oil. It looks like your front sprocket has gradually collected all the "fling."

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Cheers

I'll try and clean up the excess first and see if that stops some of the 'fling'. If that don't sort it I'll switch to engine oil.

My first two bikes were shaft drive so I ducked out of all the chain care business and led a sheltered motorcycling life for the first couple of years.
:wink:

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"switch to engine oil"

engine oil?..used?, that's good for fences :wink::ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

gunk

hi dazloczy you might want to take the front spocket cover off and clean all that crap out.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle